HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Romney: My Individual Man...

Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:40 PM

Romney: My Individual Mandate Was Also A Tax Increase!

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by NancyBlueINOklahoma (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Talking Points Memo

Romney: My Individual Mandate Was Also A Tax Increase!

Citing Thursday’s landmark Supreme Court ruling upholding the ACA on taxing power grounds, Republicans are attacking Democrats for having surreptitiously raised taxes.

But if that’s true of Democrats, it’s also true of Romney.

“We established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance,” Romney wrote in a 2009 USA Today op-ed. “Using tax penalties, as we did … encourages ‘free riders’ to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others.”

Romney has a long public record of supporting his individual mandate — a record he’d love to bury. But this is a rare example of him boasting that the mandate amounts to the same tax he and other Republicans are now attacking Obama for having adopted in the ACA.

Read more: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/06/romney-my-individual-mandate-was-also-a-tax-increase.php?ref=fpa

1 replies, 881 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney: My Individual Mandate Was Also A Tax Increase! (Original post)
kpete Jun 2012 OP
OKNancy Jun 2012 #1

Response to kpete (Original post)

Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:44 PM

1. please post this in another DU forum

This is not a breaking news item. It is analysis of a past even.

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink