HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » How Paul Manafort Wielded...

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 12:36 AM

How Paul Manafort Wielded Power in Ukraine Before Advising Donald Trump

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

A separate deal also funneled Russian-linked oligarchic money into Ukraine. In 2007, Mr. Manafort and two partners, Rick Gates and Rick Davis, set up a private equity company in the Cayman Islands to buy assets in Ukraine, and invited the Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska to invest, according to a court filing. Mr. Deripaska agreed to pay a 2 percent annual management fee to Mr. Manafort and his partners, and put $100 million into the fund, which bought a cable television station in the Black Sea port of Odessa, Ukraine, before the agreement unraveled in disagreements over auditing and Mr. Deripaska sued Mr. Manafort. The case is still pending.

<...>

Mr. Manafort’s role was disclosed after a document was discovered in a box in a sauna belonging to a former senior Ukrainian official. Other documents in that cache are now evidence in a criminal case against a former justice official, and could shed more light on Mr. Manafort’s role.

<...>

It is not clear that Mr. Manafort’s work in Ukraine ended with his work with Mr. Trump’s campaign. A communications aide for Mr. Lyovochkin, who financed Mr. Manafort’s work, declined to say whether he was still on retainer or how much he had been paid.

Mr. Manafort has not registered as a lobbyist representing Ukraine, which would require disclosing his earnings, though at least one company he subcontracted, the public relations firm Edelman, did in 2008. It received a retainer of $35,000 a month to promote Mr. Yanukovych’s efforts as prime minister “toward making Ukraine a more democratic country.”

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/us/paul-manafort-ukraine-donald-trump.html?ref=politics&_r=2

from another site:

"While Manafort worked as a political consultant for Yanukovych, the Ukranian people rose up in protest against Yanukovych’s government, and he fled the country in fear. He found refuge in Russia, a nation which he — and Manafort –– had long been allied with.

The day after he fled the Ukraine marks the beginning of the war carried out by Russian forces against the nation, a war resulting in the Russians claiming to have annexed the Crimean peninsula, adding it to the Russian territory.

During all of these events, leading to untold numbers of violent deaths among noncombatant Ukrainian civilians, Manafort continued to work on behalf of the pro-Russia and pro-Putin forces inside the Ukraine. He helped lead the efforts to oppose the government that arose in place of Yanukovych, a government aligned with the United States and against Russia."

7 replies, 832 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Paul Manafort Wielded Power in Ukraine Before Advising Donald Trump (Original post)
StrictlyRockers Aug 2016 OP
oberliner Aug 2016 #1
StrictlyRockers Aug 2016 #2
oberliner Aug 2016 #3
TeamPooka Aug 2016 #6
Kathy M Aug 2016 #4
uhnope Aug 2016 #5
OKNancy Aug 2016 #7

Response to StrictlyRockers (Original post)

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 12:59 AM

1. Every time Manafort is on TV, this should be brought up

Every single time.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to oberliner (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 01:15 AM

2. Now Drumpf is threatening to revoke the NYT press credentials.

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/8/1/1555474/-Trump-in-full-meltdown-mode-threatens-to-revoke-New-York-Times-press-credentials-lashes-out-at-CNN

Trump in full meltdown mode threatens to revoke New York Times press credentials, lashes out at CNN

Donald Trump floated rescinding his permission for The New York Times to cover his presidential campaign's events as he blasted the newspaper as "totally dishonest."

"The Washington Post has gotten a little bit better lately, I took away their press credentials," he said to the crowd at a rally in Columbus, Ohio.
"I should do it with the Times, but the problem is you get more publicity from doing it — just let them ride."
The Republican presidential nominee went on to chide the Times by predicting the paper will not be "in business more than two to three years."

Response to StrictlyRockers (Reply #2)

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 01:18 AM

3. I'd focus on tying him to Russia

Most Americans don't like Russia.

I think that's a winning strategy.

Response to StrictlyRockers (Reply #2)

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 02:03 AM

6. His press conferences will be empty by October. nt

Response to oberliner (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 01:22 AM

4. Agree ....

Especially since this has been said ..... On Meet the Press 8/1/16

" Donald Trump campaign Chair Paul Manafort denied Sunday a two-week-old report that the campaign pushed for changes in the Republican platform that softened the party's stance on helping Ukraine defend itself against Russian aggression.

Asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" by host Chuck Todd about his involvement in changing the platform regarding Ukraine, Manafort said: "I had none. In fact, I didn’t even hear about it until after our convention was over."

"Where did it come from then?" Todd pressed. "Because everyone on the platform committee had said it came from the Trump campaign. If not you, who?"

"It absolutely did not come from the campaign. I don’t know who everybody is, but I guarantee you it was nobody that was on the platform committee," Manafort replied.

"When asked once more if anyone on the campaign was involved, Manafort said, "No one, zero."

Manafort's comments contradict reporting by the Washington Post's Josh Rogin. He reported July 18 that the Trump campaign "worked behind the scenes last week to make sure the new Republican platform won’t call for giving weapons to Ukraine to fight Russian and rebel forces."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/manafort-ukraine-gop-platform

From Donald

"“I wasn’t involved in that,” Mr. Trump said. “Honestly, I was not involved.” But he acknowledged that his supporters were. “They softened it, I heard, but I was not involved,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/world/europe/ukraine-trump-crimea-politics.html

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 01:26 AM

5. K&R, special thx for the additional comment

Hard to believe this is happening in America

Tue Aug 2, 2016, 03:55 AM

7. Locking - this is not breaking news

This is an analysis article. It's a good post, so please re-post in GD2016 or in Good Reads

The Statement of Purpose for posts in Latest Breaking News

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only.
No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours.
Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/?com=about&forum=1014