HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Navy lowers medal count f...

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:03 PM

Navy lowers medal count for SEAL Chris Kyle

Source: USA Today

Tom Vanden Brook, USA TODAY 5:28 p.m. EDT July 8, 2016

WASHINGTON — Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, the late famed “American Sniper,” overstated the number of medals he was awarded for heroism, according to a Navy investigation released Friday.

The Navy personnel form that Kyle signed and initialed when he left the Navy in 2009 credited him with two Silver Star and six Bronze Star medals with “V” device for valor, according to the document. Kyle, whose best-selling book American Sniper was later made into a Hollywood blockbuster, wrote that he had been awarded two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars. He was killed in 2013 by a veteran he had mentored.

However, the Navy’s investigation of Kyle’s record, which began in 2012, determined that Kyle had commendations for one Silver Star and four Bronze Star medals with “V” devices. The service issued a revised form, known as the DD 214, on June 14. The Silver Star is the military’s third-highest award; the Medal of Honor and Service Cross are the first and second.

Kyle had made other, unverifiable claims, including his account of shooting dozens of rioters in New Orleans in the chaos that followed Hurricane Katrina. He also wrote that he had punched a man later identified as Jesse Ventura, the former Minnesota governor. A jury awarded Ventura $1.8 million in a defamation lawsuit against Kyle’s estate.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/08/navy-lowers-medal-count-seal-chris-kyle/86468402/

I wonder what else was "overstated."

20 replies, 3652 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Navy lowers medal count for SEAL Chris Kyle (Original post)
Night Watchman Jul 2016 OP
alcibiades_mystery Jul 2016 #1
Iggo Jul 2016 #2
tblue37 Jul 2016 #3
Aristus Jul 2016 #4
Calista241 Jul 2016 #6
Aristus Jul 2016 #7
Dawson Leery Jul 2016 #5
olddad56 Jul 2016 #8
Midnight Writer Jul 2016 #9
BlueEye Jul 2016 #14
LoverOfLiberty Jul 2016 #19
MADem Jul 2016 #10
sarge43 Jul 2016 #11
MADem Jul 2016 #15
sarge43 Jul 2016 #16
MADem Jul 2016 #17
Surya Gayatri Jul 2016 #12
KG Jul 2016 #13
truthisfreedom Jul 2016 #18
Marengo Jul 2016 #20

Response to Night Watchman (Original post)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:04 PM

1. I heard he once wrassled 18 alligators

and won the Distinguished Gator Wrasslin' Commendation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:08 PM

2. He either lied about murdering two dozen people in the aftermath of Katrina...

...or he told the truth about murdering two dozen people in the aftermath of Katrina.

So he was either lying scum or murdering scum.

Either way, he was scum.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:12 PM

3. He killed him a b'ar when he was only three. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:12 PM

4. Stolen valor. Just one more crime to lay at the door of a murderous psychopath

masquerading as a 'patriot'.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #4)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:20 PM

6. It's not stolen valor if it's on an official Navy form.

If they went through their records, and then determined there was a mistake, it's their fault, not Kyle's.

Not saying he was a valuable human being based on his actions or non-actions in New Orleans, but it's not a case of stolen valor.

Reply to this post

Response to Calista241 (Reply #6)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:27 PM

7. Still don't care. The guy said he enjoyed murdering Iraqis.

And that he wished he could go over and kill some more.

I hope he's burning under Hell...

There are a couple of mistakes on my DD214, too, but I don't think I'll use that as an excuse to shoot innocent people...

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:13 PM

5. Lying scumbag.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:28 PM

8. I don't even recall looking at my DD214 when I got out of the Navy,

but I looked at it after I was out and realized that I had not received one medal that I had earned. He could have just signed the form along with a lot of others that day and not even paid attention.

But whatever the case, how many people on this board have ever even know a person who was awarded a silver star and 4 bronze stars. That is unheard of, even in George Bush's illegal invasion.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 11:49 PM

9. Unfortunately, our country sometimes need people like Chris Kyle.

I don't believe our dirty little wars in the Mid East are in our national interest.

But when war is necessary, we need warriors to fight.

Some of us are talented as academics, some as athletes, etc. and some are talented as fighters and killers.

Many academics, athletes, etc. are unpalatable characters, and I suspect most talented warriors are as well.

But when push comes to shove, when it is do or die, when it's cat and dog, when it is kill or be killed, who are we going to call on?

Honestly, if you are hunkered in a bunker, who do you prefer to have on board? The guys from "The Big Bang Theory" or the guys (like Chris Kyle) who have not only survived but thrived in real combat?

Even if he is a little douchy.

Reply to this post

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #9)

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 10:09 AM

14. Thanks for your post, I agree.

I thought the film "Saving Private Ryan" captured that pretty effectively, with Tom Hanks' character being an English teacher-turned-soldier, volunteering to lead his squad effectively and deal with the horrible realities of war.

War is terrible but has been necessary before to legitimately protect ourselves and other people from atrocities. I'm glad there are people willing to step up and answer that call. It is unfortunate that certain elements of our government have gone to war for less noble reasons. But warriors will have a role in our collective security for the foreseeable future.

Reply to this post

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #9)

Sun Jul 10, 2016, 10:45 AM

19. I do understand that

but to brag about the number of people you've killed, even if it was deemed necessary seems to me an indication of a bad person.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 03:11 AM

10. Not to nitpick, but "the revised form" would be a DD215, which is a half sheet

correction form to the 214.

I have some errors (omissions, actually) on my 214, but they're not important enough for me to bother going back and correcting them.

The fault for the mistake-making is the Navy's and the personnelman who prepared his discharge documentation. You'd think Kyle would have paid attention and proofread his document, but maybe he was in a hurry to get out of there.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #10)

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 05:07 AM

11. Also where are citations and the presentation boxes containing the medal?

Yeah, the 214 is the legal verification, but if Kyle didn't have three citations and presentation medals, only two, then he should have kept his mouth shut or got in BurPers' face about a correction.

Reply to this post

Response to sarge43 (Reply #11)

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 03:02 PM

15. Really--and this isn't like a 4th star on a NAM; those are pretty significant

awards. It's no picnic trying to snake the citations through the system, either; it takes a bit of effort to get them approved.

I don't understand "medal embellishment," myself. I can understand honest mistakes, but I always found that the most focused servicemembers just wore the top three--it also "saved" the uniform from the tug of an unreasonably heavy rack, most of which was "fruit salad" anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to MADem (Reply #15)

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 03:44 PM

16. Well, the two Meritorious Service and AF Commendations I was awarded

always came with the citations and presentation boxes (the full size medal and lapel ribbon). These are low level non combat awards. I'm sure combat related medals came with extra bells and whistles, especially Silver Stars which aren't passed out at every mess call.

Yes, it was/is a pain pushing a recommendation through the pipe line, having done so with three of my subords.

In Balloon Corps the full rack with all of the bling was/is always worn on the jacket else you were "out of uniform". The shirt, your call unless you had an anal retentive commander. If on the shirt, put a cardboard or plastic brace behind the rack which took the weight. No E-5 or above is going to have a bare Good Conduct Medal; by 20 and counting you have a silver oak leaf on that sucker or questions will be asked.

Reply to this post

Response to sarge43 (Reply #16)

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 04:29 PM

17. Yes, it is customary to give the full set if it's on hand.

I've seen situations, though, when poor planning or supply line failure resulted in a "We don't have the medal, but here's the paperwork" type evolution.

I rarely wore the full fruit salad--it irritated me, even as I recognized the importance of awards to subordinates for both purposes of recognition and promotion--you can't say "Hey, great job, you're getting a raise!" but you can give someone a LOC or a medal. And they do count at a promotion board, so it is important to not be cheap and to be fair with them if you are an awarding authority.

I did the cardboard and erasers (predecessor to the fancy plastic things they sold in the uni shop) thing when needs must, but by the time that stuff started bugging me I was also senior enough that no one was going to tell me what to do on a day to day basis-- lucky me.

It's funny as hell how every service has a way of looking at an enlisted person and being able to tell if they got in trouble at any point in their career! I come from a time when that grizzled old chief with the red (instead of gold) hashmarks was the guy you wanted watching your back; because he'd screwed up and survived.

The military tends to swing between "Screw the rules" and "Enforce the rules absurdly." I've been in both environments, and it's tiresome. The former happens when end strength is insufficient to meet requirements, and the latter is usually rolled out when they want to get rid of people.

I rarely think about service much, these days--except on the 1st of the month, when I remember fondly (as I pay bills, etc.- heh!)

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 06:21 AM

12. Typical RW, gun-worshipping, blustering braggart. No surprise.

He got off on using hapless strangers for target practice, and he loved the braggadocio that it allowed him with his like-minded buddies.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 08:21 AM

13. American Shitbag.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2016, 06:20 PM

18. This lowers my already flagging viewpoint of Chris Kyle.

Really righteous dudes don't need to murder looters for target practice. That's what ranges are for. He took the "judge, jury and executioner" war mentality home and looked for an application. There is none in civil society. When laws are broken in civil society, there's a process for dealing with the aftermath. It's not sniping.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 10, 2016, 11:18 PM

20. Wouldn't the Navy Cross be number two for a SEAL?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread