HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Burnet Co. GOP leader goi...

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:18 AM

Burnet Co. GOP leader going to jail

Source: KXAN.com

Police have charged Rogers in election night fight

Updated: Thursday, 31 May 2012, 10:22 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 31 May 2012, 5:47 PM CDT

Erin Cargile
BURNET, Texas (KXAN) - The president of the Burnet County Republican Party organization faces a felony assault charge after witnesses said he repeatedly punched a 65-year-old newspaper reporter on election night.

Thursday, Burnet police charged Johnnie B. Rogers with injury to the elderly, a third degree felony that is equivalent to injury to a child.

Police Chief Paul Nelson said Rogers is expected to turn himself in at the Burnet County Jail Friday morning with his attorney, Richard Davis.

Read more: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/hill_country/burnet-co-gop-leader-going-to-jail

10 replies, 3703 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Burnet Co. GOP leader going to jail (Original post)
radarluv Jun 2012 OP
freshwest Jun 2012 #1
AllyCat Jun 2012 #2
mbperrin Jun 2012 #3
bluesbassman Jun 2012 #4
BlueCollar Jun 2012 #5
Bozita Jun 2012 #6
goclark Jun 2012 #7
cosmicone Jun 2012 #8
tanyev Jun 2012 #9
marble falls Jun 2012 #10

Response to radarluv (Original post)

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:33 AM

1. Not nice people.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:43 AM

2. He should move to Wisconsin. Here, you can assault a SC judge and still remain a SC judge!

Duh!

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:45 AM

3. Nice family values.

Texans like that give Texans like me heartburn and headache.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:54 AM

4. You don't get to be 65 years old and all of a sudden develop a taste for fighting.

Especially if you've been a reporter all your life. Can you imagine the howling from the right if this had been a Democrat? Think Pigboy will lead off with this story tomorrow?

Plus, the Chief of Police, who has to be a Repug (otherwise why would he have been there?) is already on record as seeing Rogers swing four or five times! I hope Walker sues the crap out of Rogers. After he's convicted of course.

Chief Nelson was at the Burnet County Republican Party headquarters Tuesday night when the Election results were coming in. Nelson said he saw Rogers punch Burnet Bulletin reporter James Walker, 65, four to five times.

Rogers told KXAN News he swung twice at Walker after the reporter threw the first punch.

"I did not hit him first. As a matter of fact, I didn't even get in a punch," said Walker. "I did push him back from me and I believe that was the green light to start wailing on me." Chief Nelson said he pulled Rogers off of Walker.

It was the first time Walker has ever been physically attacked on the job, though he says he was threatened several times back in the 1970's in his sports writing days by the manager of the Texas Rangers baseball team, Billy Martin.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:58 AM

5. welcome...

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 01:59 AM

6. Isn't a frogmarch more suited to the occasion?

Any sports scribe who didn't have a battle or two with Billy Martin must have been AWOL.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 02:24 AM

7. They should all go to Jail- go directly

to jail.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 03:01 AM

8. Hopefully republicans can be the end-users

of the massive prison build-up they did at the expense of education, health care and social safety nets.

That would be ironic. However, I don't think there is enough prison space in the world to house all the republithugs.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 07:12 AM

9. Thugs, bullies, and miscreants.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 1, 2012, 09:00 AM

10. You all don't have a clue about how big this is here in Burnet county, there are NO elected ...

Democrats and the primary was majorly bitter between conservative Republicans and Tea Baggers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread