HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Iran Hands Over Stockpile...

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 06:07 PM

Iran Hands Over Stockpile of Enriched Uranium to Russia

Source: New York Times

By DAVID E. SANGER and ANDREW E. KRAMERDEC. 28, 2015

A Russian ship left Iran on Monday carrying almost all of Iran’s stockpile of low-enriched uranium, fulfilling a major step in the nuclear deal struck last summer and, for the first time in nearly a decade, apparently leaving Iran with too little fuel to manufacture a nuclear weapon.

The shipment was announced by Secretary of State John Kerry and confirmed by a spokesman for Russia’s civilian nuclear company, Rosatom. Mr. Kerry called it “one of the most significant steps Iran has taken toward fulfilling its commitment” and American officials say that it may now be only weeks before the deal reached in July will go into effect.

On “implementation day” roughly $100 billion in Iranian assets will be unfrozen, and the country will be free to sell oil on world markets and operate in the world financial system.

For President Obama, the peaceful removal of the fuel from Iran is one of the biggest achievements in his foreign policy record, the culmination of a seven-year long effort that at various times involved sanctions, cybersabotage of Iran’s main nuclear facility, and repeated Israeli threats to bomb the country’s facilities.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/world/middleeast/iran-hands-over-stockpile-of-enriched-uranium-to-russia.html

17 replies, 2008 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Purveyor (Original post)

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 06:11 PM

1. Russia will be building a couple of nuke power plants for Iran.

Hope they do a better job with them than they did at Chernobyl, firstly, and secondly, I hope they build the doggone things somewhere other than an earthquake fault line.

You'd think they'd start to consider the idea of SOLAR power and wind--it's not like they don't have tons of both and a shitload of empty desert to put that stuff in.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 06:18 PM

2. They will be the most strictly invigilated nuclear power plants in the world

I would say that the chances of an incident, security related or otherwise, would be far greater in the case of some of America's more antiquated nuclear power plants.

Reply to this post

Response to sahel (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 06:22 PM

3. Quite possible.

Iran suffers from pollution, water shortages, and a lack of spare parts in every, I repeat, Every industry. They have made due by using creative means or creating new methods to make their society work. Having them as an e Olomouc partner will be good for Iran, the US, and the region.

(Go pound sand, Bibi.)

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 06:33 PM

4. Here's hoping--they were building one when I left that was fraught with problems.

This was back when the USSR was still a thing. The Germans took credit (blame?) for the construction, but I seem to recall the old Soviets having a hand in this thing--hell, maybe they were just spying on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushehr_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 07:20 PM

6. Unfortunately

That wont be much help.

All of the more than 400 Nuclear plants world wide are very vulnerable. It does not have to be a war or terrorism.
A decent sized EMP from our friendly neighborhood star will cause most, if not all, of these plants to melt down. And render the planet uninhabitable.

This is the number 1 biggest threat to national security and mankind as well.
It would cost right around a billion $'s to harden the USA electrical grid to avoid this cataclysm. And maybe another 2-3 billion to fix it world wide.

But, for someone reason we seem more interested in expanding our empire of chaos.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernin (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 12:10 AM

10. Seven million people die each year from air pollution...and still...still...

...people who know nothing at all about nuclear engineering - and who in fact have never opened a single engineering text or paper, or for that matter any scientific paper or book of any kind - prattle on mindlessly about the "threat" of nuclear power.

Air pollution deaths may be found in this comprehensive survey of risks: A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010

(Lancet Volume 380, No. 9859, p2224–2260, 15 December 2012) (For air pollution mortality figures see Table 3, page 2238 and the text on page 2240.)

Nowhere in that document does nuclear power even register as a "threat." Fatty hamburgers are more dangerous than nuclear power.

Nuclear power is a threat compared to what? Several major reactors failed around the world in dramatic fashion and combined all of these widely covered "disasters" didn't kill as many people as will die in the next twenty four hours from the "normal" operations of dangerous fossil fuel powered plants. Yet nuclear power is dangerous? Again, compared to what?

The nuclear industry is now more than sixty years old. According to a widely read paper co-authored by the climate scientist Jim Hansen in Environmental Science and Technology, nuclear power saved 1.8 million lives, in spite of all the nonsensical burning of oil, gas, and coal burned so people could run computers to say - from a position of grotesque ignorance - how they just "hate" nuclear power.

Prevented Mortality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Historical and Projected Nuclear Power (Environ. Sci. Technol., 2013, 47 (9), pp 4889–4895)

It might have saved far more were it not for the fear and ignorance of the anti-nuke community, our equivalent on the left of creationists on the right: People who hate science because they don't know any.

This hatred of nuclear energy actually has caused more deaths than many other forms of hatred, given the number of deaths from air pollution in the last decade, approximately 70 million, more people than died in World War II.

Opposition to nuclear power is, seen through this prism, a crime.

By the way, in spite of much rhetoric to the contrary, Iranians are human beings, and they have as much right to nuclear power as anyone else on the planet. By delaying and denying this right, we are, in effect, ordering Iranians to die for our sins. We, after all, live in the only country ever to launch a nuclear war, and one of only two countries to have detonated more than 800 nuclear weapons, many of them in the open atmosphere.

By contrast, Iranians have never launched a nuclear war, nor have they ever detonated a nuclear weapon.

We, who live in a country that historically overthrew the elected Iranian government (in 1953) and installed a "Shah" operating a secret police (Savak) consisting of Gestapo wannabees, this to keep the oil from Iran flowing and to keep the profits from that flow to fall into Western hands, are in a position to give morality lectures to Iran?

You must be joking. You must be...you must be... Unfortunately, you're probably not.

It's appalling.

Have a happy New Year.

Reply to this post

Response to NNadir (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 04:14 AM

11. Well,

you certainly took that ball and ran with it.

Unfortunately for you, I said absolutely nothing about Iran. I find our foreign policy towards Iran criminal.

Other than that, you must have a willful ignorance of the mass extinction event currently unfolding in the Pacific right now from Fukushima. And, that is only 2 melted cores.

The simple fact, that you can't seem to grasp, is that we have now created more than 400 machines that; if we are not here or able to maintain they will DESTROY this planet forever. Not like some great flood that kills most everything and then it's over.
No, these are machines that will render the planet useless forever.

Earth based nuclear power is short sighted at best. You want to play nuclear power? Build the reactor on the moon and pump the power here with a maser. You want to explore space with nuclear powered vessels? I'm all for that.
But, littering our ONLY planet with nuclear reactors; when we know the surface of this world is highly unstable and we have no way of predicting what our star will do in the next 5 minutes is just plain STUPID!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 06:03 AM

12. Count me one of the anti-nuke community. While you consider air pollution to be more dangeous than

nukes, can you tell us how to dispose of nuclear waste? From what I hear it take hundreds of years of dilligence to see it doesn't seep out of containers and into the environment. I'd rather breathe air pollution than stand close to a nuclear melt down, and how about that little factor that if the power goes out for only 4 hours you get a nuclear melt down? Isn't it cool that there are still 800 square kilometers of dead zone from Chernoble that no one can go into and that most of the 200 thousand people directly involved with Chernoble were dead within 10 years. You can love your nuke plants all you want, the big picture is it's a mess a lot harder and deadlier to clean up than air pollution when the power goes out for 4 hours.

Reply to this post

Response to trillion (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 02:35 PM

13. Assume for a moment 200,000 died from Chernobyl as you say

You are going to kill 7 million people a year to save 200,000? If you ammoritze your figure over the 29 years from 1986, its only 7,000 a year. Why kill 1000 people to save one? How do you clean up the air pollution?

Reply to this post

Response to Massacure (Reply #13)

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 03:07 PM

14. Better questions

Stop polluting the air and nature cleans air pollution over a very short time period.

How do you clean up 680,000lbs of Corium? (that's 1 Fukushima core)
How do you clean the Cesium that is being dumped into the Pacific by Fukushima right now as I type this.

Keep in mind that is one power plant.
Now imagine 400+ melting down as the result of a global power loss from a solar EMP.

Reply to this post

Response to Massacure (Reply #13)

Wed Dec 30, 2015, 06:41 AM

17. Most of those

7 million deaths thrown around here is from indoor pollution in what are referred to as third world countries. Places where they have no means to cook their meals or heat their homes other than open fires, even lighting with open flames. Not from power plants as the big guy would want you to think. Most of that air pollution is from fossil fueled engines that we use to get around with or do the many jobs assigned to them. Don't believe anything that certain poster has to say about deaths and what their cause was from. Very misleading to the point of Lying. According to him nuclear has yet to take a single life. We all know that is a lie and from that I'll not believe another word written by him.

One nuclear mishap from one of our aging nuclear power plants in the northeast part of our country will take the lives of thousands and render a large section of our country off limits for years to come. I'd rather use my time and effort developing alternates to both burning of fossil fuels and splitting atoms.
Right now we here in Ok are getting over 15 % of our energy from wind alone, today, right this minute.

Oh, want to put a dent in those 7 million deaths figure? Do it with suitable and safe lighting, cooking and heating appliances in those so called third world countries and your money will be much better spent. If saving lives is the object that is

Reply to this post

Response to trillion (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 11:38 PM

16. I know more about so called "nuclear waste" than you will ever know. Unfortunately...

...it would take a college level knowledge of chemistry, physics and mathematics, at bare minimum, maybe some graduate level courses, for you to understand any of it.

And clearly any attempt to provide that knowledge would be a waste of time.

Here's a differential equation that is relevant to the point:

Any idea what it means? It's called the Bateman equation, and it's relevant to the accumulation of fission products and actinides. What does the equation tell you about the rate of accumulation, and how does that rate differ from the rate of benzofurans, and polycyclic aromatics like PAH's that are in dangerous fossil fuel and dangerous biomass waste?

Never mind.

I gave at least two references in my previous post to papers from the primary scientific literature pointing to millions of deaths each year from air pollution, and you're, um, unimpressed.

Why am I not surprised?

I would note that you know zero about the Chernobyl "dead" zone (which, by the way, isn't "dead" and your two hundred thousand dead number is just, well, for lack of a better term, stupid.

The matter was reviewed thousands of times in the primary scientific literature, which you clearly didn't read because you clearly don't read any scientific literature, and no serious person in that literature would give anything like that number as deaths attributable to Chernobyl.

The usual figure, culled from many hundreds of references from the primary scientific literature is roughly 4000 premature deaths, over a period of several decades.

UNSCEAR report The report contains hundreds of references, all from the primary scientific literature.

Intellectual Lilliputians do however throw around numbers like 200,000 because they are, well, living for rumors that tell them what they want to hear; usually they just make it up without providing any scientific references for these claims. They pull them out of thin air, or off of websites put together by people who also know nothing, a great circle of ignorance and fear.

But, understanding that you don't give a rat's ass about 7 million deaths per year, each year, every year, and not just 1986, from air pollution, let's assume that your silly figure was in fact correct, and that Chernobyl killed 200,000 people. This means that 1) the disaster would have killed about the same amount of people as the Banqiao dam disaster in China killed in 1975 - not that you care about that disaster at all - except those people died within two or three weeks, and not your fanciful "ten years." You couldn't care less about Banqiao at all, if you even got off your ass to find out what it was.

But what's more telling is this:

At seven million air pollution deaths per year, your fanciful number, 200,000 deaths from Chernobyl would mean Chernobyl would barely exceed 10 days worth of air pollution deaths.

Ten days. Can you understand that? TEN DAYS! Ten days!!!!!

Now listen hear, that ten days will be followed - without action and with a stupid stumbling further into the status quo - by another 10 days exactly the same, and ten days after that, and ten more after that, for hundreds of periods of ten days.

Let me tell you something. Nuclear energy, which was discovered and developed by some of the best minds this planet has ever seen, doesn't need to be perfect, it doesn't need to be without risk, to be vastly superior to everything else. It only needs to be vastly superior to everything else, which it is.

Let me know, by the way, when you can find something like 7 million deaths per year from so called "nuclear waste," about which you in fact, clearly know nothing but pretend to care so much about.

This kind of contempt for numbers is exactly why there is no hope for future generations. One of the very disturbing things about the politics in this country, left and right, is the magnitude and vicious immorality of the contempt for science.

You know, my whole life I've been a Democrat, an Eleanor Roosevelt Democrat, who believed in justice, equal opportunity, help for the poor, the down trodden, and now, as my life draws to a close in a spasm of disgust, I find that my party has become the champion of Birkenstock wearing, Tesla car driving, Sierra Club calendar hanging consumers, prattling on about stupid old men from Vermont as the messiah while living in a bourgeois dream world that is literally sucking the future dry.

I give up.

The charges to be brought will be brought by future generations, our children, our grandchildren, and their grandchildren, should humanity survive climate change - which it is increasingly unlikely to do. History, should it survive, will not forgive our generation, nor should it. We were too stupid to breathe, which is why our breath, literally the air we breathe, is irreversibly filled with toxic particles and metals. Maybe it was all that mercury fuming from the coal we burn while we wait, like D'Estragnon waiting for Godot, for our silly "renewable" fantasies to come true: Maybe that mercury that we've been breathing and drinking that destroyed our brains and made us too stupid to open a science book and understand nuclear energy.

It is neither ethical, or just, or intelligent to oppose nuclear energy. I stand my contention that it is nothing less than contempt for science, for engineering and contempt for future generations to chant this rote anti-nuke nonsense year after year after year while the dead pile up. (By the way, not that you give a shit, according the the World Health Organization, the majority of the deaths from air pollution involve children under the age of 5, and most of them are poor, dirt poor. So much for economic justice...)

Jesus Christ! Good luck to Bernie Sanders and the rest of the big, big, big, big fans of fracking the shit out of the continental crust in order to feel all "renewable."

Have a happy New Year. I won't. I know what's happening. I've just spent the last thirty years with my head buried in the primary scientific literature relating to the environment. I give up. It's too damn late.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 29, 2015, 03:41 PM

15. It's irrational to confuse the voice and concerns of one individual with the collective and historic

"We are in a position to give morality lectures to Iran? "

It's irrational to confuse the voice and concerns of one individual with the collective and historical acts of that individual's country of origin. Unless of course, you apply your ethics consistently-- which would then prevent any one individual from criticizing any one country.

You must be joking. You must be...you must be... Unfortunately, you're probably not. It's appalling. Have a happy New Year. Part two...

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 07:04 PM

5. Thanks Obama

Really, thanks!!!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 07:23 PM

7. Connecting the dots

So Russia has the enriched Uranimum and Hillary wants to enforce a no fly zone in Syria that Russia would likely ignore.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 07:29 PM

8. Thank you President Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry and the entire team. Well done.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2015, 08:02 PM

9. This has GOT to weird out the Republicans....

How do you demonize the Russians while praising Putin?

Do you depend on the stupidity of your base to not connect the two?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread