HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » How the Kochs created Jon...

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 10:39 AM

How the Kochs created Joni Ernst

Source: KENNETH P. VOGEL

Joni Ernst was surprised to receive an invitation in the summer of 2013 that she later credited with starting her meteoric rise to the U.S. Senate.
Ernst was then a little-known Iowa state senator and lieutenant colonel in the National Guard who was considering a long-shot campaign for the GOP nomination for U.S. Senate. Polls showed more than 90 percent of her state’s voters had no opinion of her. At least a half-dozen other Republicans ― some with better funding and connections and stronger establishment support ― also were positioning themselves to run against the presumptive Democratic nominee, Rep. Bruce Braley.
Story Continued Below

But Ernst was being watched closely by allies of the billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, who saw in her an advocate for their brand of free-market, libertarian-infused conservatism. Operatives affiliated with the Kochs’ political network invited Ernst to the network’s August 2013 gathering of wealthy conservative donors at a posh resort in Albuquerque’s Santa Ana Pueblo.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/the-kochs-vs-the-gop-215672

13 replies, 2450 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to elmac (Original post)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 10:59 AM

1. let's hope the Kochs end up castrated a year from now

politically, of course!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 11:11 AM

2. World's oldest profession ...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 11:18 AM

3. Still wonder if the Kochs had anything to do with the plane crash death of the Libertarian candidate

that ran against her only a short time before the election then. Had he been still alive and running, makes you wonder if the election might have come out differently.

The investigation of the cause of this plane crash still is not clear a year later.

http://www.thonline.com/news/tri-state/article_9e399081-7e8f-5f5e-9777-2a297e326fe7.html

Reply to this post

Response to cascadiance (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 11:59 AM

5. That's what these bastard's do.

Never with consequences.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 11:29 AM

4. I thought maybe there was bread sacks in there somewhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 12:35 PM

6. I'll run against an ALEC star here...hoping for DU support (not $$, just morale support!)

Our state rep was named an ALEC 'Star.' How much $$ will they throw to make sure she wins in the next election? Not one single Dem has been elected in my county for over 20 years, but I am half-decided to run against this Koch-Bro creation...I know they'll try to destroy my reputation and dig up all my old dirt and I'm deciding whether or not I can take that. I do believe that if I run, I can deliver more votes for Dem candidates at state and national levels although it remains doubtful I can win. I don't mind that. I won't be all butt hurt if I lose, but I can put some liberal issues in my platform and give them a stronger, louder voice.

She's real big into the 'take back the government lands and give them to the county and state they're in. For all of us 'public', they want to take over our US Forest and BLM lands and privatize them, although they don't usually admit the privatizing part.

http://www.alec.org/rep-yvette-herrell-awarded-state-chair-year-american-legislative-exchange-council/

She just got back from this Constitutional Convention meeting http://www.sltrib.com/home/3161166-155/lawmakers-meet-in-utah-to-draw

Reply to this post

Response to duhneece (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 01:43 PM

7. Hope- that's what you'd give your neighbors and fellow Dems-

if you go ahead with your plan to run for state rep.

I'll stand by with moral support for your race.

Who else will join me is encouraging an activist-minded Dem in a red locale?

Reply to this post

Response to No Vested Interest (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 05:18 PM

10. Happy to support any progressive

willing to take on the rightwing nuts. Doing so at the state and local level is the smart way to go. Start by getting into the local Board of Elections.

Reply to this post

Response to elmac (Reply #10)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 08:44 PM

12. We don't have Boards of Elections, per se

...but I have worked in the polls on election days for general and primary elections. I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at.
Thanks for the support!

Reply to this post

Response to No Vested Interest (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 08:45 PM

13. You are so right...

and I'd be giving them the chance to vote for a Dem..I hate unopposed elections. Thanks for your support!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 02:26 PM

8. thank you so much for this link

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2015, 05:08 PM

9. Thanks so much for the link

Reply to this post