HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Violence once again mars ...

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 03:25 PM

Violence once again mars New York's West Indian Day Parade

Source: AP

By JONATHAN LEMIRE

NEW YORK (AP) The West Indian Day Parade, a rollicking, colorful celebration of Caribbean culture, music, style and food, rolled through New York City's streets Monday but, once again, was marred by predawn violence that left one man dead and an aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo in critical condition.

Cuomo identified his wounded staffer as Carey Gabay, a first deputy general counsel at the Empire State Development Corporation. Gabay was walking with his brother near the Brooklyn parade route at 3:40 a.m. when he was caught in the crossfire between two gangs, according to police officials.

A bullet struck Gabay, 43, in the head. Cuomo said Gabay, a Harvard-educated lawyer who had worked as an assistant counsel to the governor, and his wife are expecting their first child.

"I'm the governor of the state of New York, and there's not a thing I can do," Cuomo told reporters after he visited his staffer's family at Kings County Hospital. "There's not a thing I can say, and there's nothing I can do. And sometimes it just hurts."

FULL story at link.

New York City Police officers stand on the scene of a fatal stabbing, Monday, Sept. 7, 2015 in the Brooklyn borough of New York as participants in the West Indian Day Parade pass behind them. Earlier in the day a man was stabbed to death at the location. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Read more: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8eb86d247c95430fb992eafcbcd719f6/west-indian-day-parade-set-kick-nyc-amid-violence

7 replies, 1490 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Violence once again mars New York's West Indian Day Parade (Original post)
Omaha Steve Sep 2015 OP
msongs Sep 2015 #1
Chakab Sep 2015 #2
BumRushDaShow Sep 2015 #3
smirkymonkey Sep 2015 #4
Reter Sep 2015 #5
alcibiades_mystery Sep 2015 #6
flamingdem Sep 2015 #7

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 03:27 PM

1. doesn't seem like the parade and violence are related. deceptive framing nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 04:31 PM

2. How does a predawn shooting "near" the parade route mar

the parade?

The level of journalism continues to sink lower and lower.

Reply to this post

Response to Chakab (Reply #2)

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 07:06 PM

3. My thoughts exactly. nt

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 08:37 PM

4. Very sad.

So sorry for his wife and his expectant child as well.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 10:38 PM

5. I know a cop who was working there

He said it's the single, most violent, rambunctious day of the year. Officers are told to look the other way on many crimes, because arresting someone might incite a riot. He absolutely hates working that day.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 7, 2015, 10:57 PM

6. Having grown up in NYC and lived several years in Brooklyn, let me assure you all

nothing good happens when you're walking down a Brooklyn street at 3:40 am.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 8, 2015, 12:09 AM

7. That's heartbreaking

A WSJ article written by an ex Bronx cop made a good point. The numbers of young black men dying, killed mostly by these kind of gang wars is seven times that of cops killing young blacks. Somehow that issue needs to be forefronted without undermining the other.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread