HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump administration twis...

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 08:37 AM

Trump administration twists anti-discrimination law to claim the KKK is a protected class

The Ku Klux Klan Isn’t a Protected Class, So Get a Grip Already

Dec 6, 2017, 5:27pm Imani Gandy

How do I know the Klan isn't? Because it says so right in the law.

Jack Phillips, who fancies himself a cake artist and owns a Colorado bakery named Masterpiece Cakeshop, would like you to think that when he refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple in 2012, he wasn’t being a homophobic, bigoted, discriminatory, biased, prejudiced, or intolerant jackass.

He was simply acting on his religious beliefs. But Phillips’ denial of his own bias is not the only absurdity here. Listen to this: In his argument before the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) on Tuesday for Phillips’ right to be a bigot, the lawyer for the U.S. government likened the gay couple—whose only “crime” was trying to buy a wedding cake—to the Ku Klux Klan.

But back to the beginning: When David Mullins and Charlie Craig asked Phillips to bake a cake for their wedding, Phillips said no. Phillips opposes same-sex marriage—it’s his religion, doncha know—and sent Mullins and Craig packing. And that move landed him in court, where he lost.

Ultimately, he appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court (read my colleague Jessica Mason Pieklo’s analysis of Tuesday’s oral arguments). And here we are—arguing about whether or not cake is speech and religious adherents are permitted to discriminate.

more
https://rewire.news/ablc/2017/12/06/kkk-isnt-protected-class-get-grip/

3 replies, 366 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump administration twists anti-discrimination law to claim the KKK is a protected class (Original post)
DonViejo Dec 7 OP
dalton99a Dec 7 #1
sinkingfeeling Dec 7 #2
world wide wally Dec 7 #3

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 08:38 AM

1. NEXT: African-Americans should apologize to the very fine people in the Klan

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 08:55 AM

2. Unfortunately, I think this SCOTUS will find cake is speech and religion