HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The party is showing a sp...

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:01 AM

The party is showing a spine.

They have been for awhile. Iím on board today more than ever. From the new leadership at the DNC and the establishment to our newly elected officials in red and blue lands. They are taking up issues important to me and either fighting back as Republicans try to screw us or taking control of the party they are members to.

Blaming a bunch of women for the failures of a white man is spineless. Using our lgbqt friends as examples that it happens to men too is spineless, and homophobic.

This isnít cult of personality folks. Itís a war we all hope will be waging for centuries. Battles will be lost along the way... that doesnít mean the end is near or that we have to give up on our progressive values.

21 replies, 1174 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to NCTraveler (Original post)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:03 AM

1. Kathleen Rice has a spine

Her takedown of Pelosi re. Conyers was superb.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:05 AM

2. Centuries of war?

OMG we're fucked.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:10 AM

5. Yes.

I hope the us system of governance hold up to centuries of political battles. How long has it held to this point? Not sure what would be shocking about that statement. I think it pretty clear what I was referencing with the use of ďwarĒ.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:09 AM

3. We just lost a battle...this was a put up job. And the GOP will be coming for other effective

Democrats...this was very very foolish...what the GOP makes up shit about our people and we just pile on? Until we stand up and fight back ,we will lose. Mark my words, this was about getting Franken out ahead of the tax cut bill coming back to the senate...the GOP won't seat any replacement until after that vote if at all. They don't have to you know.

"Both houses of the United States Congress have refused to seat new members based on Article I, Section 5 of the United States Constitution which states that, "Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, and a majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business; but a ...
People also ask"

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:18 AM

14. So McConnell can block just as block SC nominee

and Shumer/Gillebrand just gave him the keys to that car?

Reply to this post

Response to delisen (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:43 AM

18. Yes he could block the new appointed Senator...certainly until after the tax bill vote, but

after looking at the rules...he can block until the next election...while a court ruling limited blocking elected senators and representatives...there is no such protection for those appointed.

"Both houses of the United States Congress have refused to seat new members based on Article I, Section 5 of the United States Constitution which states that, "Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, and a majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business; but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the attendance of absent members, in such manner, and under such penalties as each House may provide." This had been interpreted that members of the House of Representatives and of the Senate could refuse to recognize the election or appointment of a new representative or senator for any reason, often political heterodoxy or criminal record. Powell v. McCormack (1969) limited the powers of the Congress to refuse to seat an elected member to when the individual does not meet the specific constitutional requirements of age, citizenship or residency. From the decision by Chief Justice Earl Warren: "Therefore, we hold that, since Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., was duly elected by the voters of the 18th Congressional District of New York and was not ineligible to serve under any provision of the Constitution, the House was without power to exclude him from its membership."

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:09 AM

4. Yes uniform punishment for all offenders

Details of offenses don't matter- firing squad for all.

Reply to this post

Response to XRubicon (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:11 AM

6. Said no one but you. Nt

Reply to this post

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:13 AM

9. And me. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to TheCowsCameHome (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:16 AM

11. Then you just agreed with a blatantly inaccurate...

And dishonest statement. It hold no place in reality in this situation. Thatís one of the points Iím hitting on. The absurdity of some of the arguments being made makes it clear some are just desperately flailing around.

Reply to this post

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:14 AM

10. I guess you are right, not sure what you op means...

Reply to this post

Response to XRubicon (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:17 AM

12. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:11 AM

7. Not at the top, unfortunately.

Schumer and Pelosi must go.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:12 AM

8. Does this mean they will demand Moore resign?

Even if he does not, they should continue to demand it.

When do they start demanding Donald of Orange resign?

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:18 AM

13. We have members pushing for articles of impeachment.

Trump is not going to resign over sexual misconduct.

I donít use one to justify the other.

Reply to this post

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:19 AM

15. Then Democrats should not design over mere accusations

of misconduct.

And they should make the demands for the Republicans' resignations when their cases are as bad!

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #15)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:29 AM

16. I dont think your first sentence holds up.

Allegations can and often should/do end in resignation.

I fully agree with your second part. I also think if Franken steps down a new bar will be set. I believe Franken is one of the most common type of repeat assaulters out there and in the eyes of society itís not that bad. I disagree but am just smart enough to figure out a majority laugh off the bar tit grabber, school room ass patter, and the all in just fun guys. The bar that is about to be set will sweep up many more accusations of impropriety against Congress persons.

Reply to this post

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 08:05 AM

20. The bar will be set for Democratic only...and that is not helpful.

I consider that what you describe often depends on your point of view and circumstance...and will result in multiple attacks on Democrats...while the GOP skates and we continue to lose. We may very well lose the tax vote because of this...so tell all those who will die that it is important to raise the bar in regards to how a person behaves in private life...and purity is more important than stopping the GOP death machine. This just about purity and more holier than thou bullshit...holding the Dems to an impossibly higher standard than the GOP and the result will be multiple Democratic losses. We barely won in Minnesota and may very well lose this seat. Also, the GOP does not have to seat a replacement...and with one Dem Senator down...imagine how much crap they can pass.

Reply to this post

Response to NCTraveler (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:59 AM

19. BFD...the impeachment will go nowhere as we don't have the votes...a complete waste of time.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 07:38 AM

17. Rec.nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 7, 2017, 08:08 AM

21. This might have more impact if Franken hadn't already apologized...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread