HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A bad choice of words sho...

Sun Oct 22, 2017, 12:52 AM

A bad choice of words should be the beginning of the end

http://www.whio.com/news/national-govt--politics/tillerson-mideast-aim-saudi-iraqi-axis-against-iran/bJXfFOr9tL4RG0DNKixGNP/

The Associated Press is reporting today that Rex Tillerson, the current pivot man in the circle jerk that is the Trump White House, is trying to set up an alliance between Saudi Arabia and Iraq to stand against Iran. It's the wording the AP is using that worries me:

U.S. officials see a new axis that unites Riyadh and Baghdad as central to countering Iran's growing influence from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea, particularly as the Iraqi government struggles to rebuild recently liberated Islamic State strongholds and confronts a newly assertive Kurdish independence movement.

Read that again: a "new axis." I realize this administration's theme song is Sam Cooke's "What a Wonderful World" (especially the "I don't care about history" which, considering they're trying to turn people who have hated each other for ten thousand years into friends) line, but come on: didn't anyone tell these morons that "The Axis" is what the people we were shooting at in World War II called their alliance?

Right about now, the people in Israel should be shitting kittens over this one.

3 replies, 844 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A bad choice of words should be the beginning of the end (Original post)
jmowreader Oct 22 OP
FormerOstrich Oct 22 #1
KY_EnviroGuy Oct 22 #2
jmowreader Oct 22 #3

Response to jmowreader (Original post)

Sun Oct 22, 2017, 12:57 AM

1. Note it is the Persian Gulf

and not the Arabian Gulf.

All of it...is Gas & Fire

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jmowreader (Original post)

Sun Oct 22, 2017, 01:28 AM

2. Good luck, Rex - trying to align Shia-controlled Baghdad against Iran.

Sounds more like an axis of oil ministers to me.

Reply to this post

Response to KY_EnviroGuy (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 22, 2017, 02:08 AM

3. Considering where Trump got Tillerson in the first place, that's to be expected

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread