HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Pawar drops out of Illino...

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 03:46 PM

Pawar drops out of Illinois governor's race

By NATASHA KORECKI 10/12/2017 03:28 PM EDT

CHICAGO — In the race for Illinois governor, candidate Ameya Pawar was frequently described as an up-and-comer who had the indefinable star quality of a young Barack Obama. One thing he didn’t have: a boatload of cash.

Pawar exited the Democratic primary race for governor on Thursday — six months before the primary election — saying he couldn’t compete financially in what’s expected to be the most expensive gubernatorial race in the nation’s history.

It’s the latest reminder of the breakneck spending pace in the 2018 governor’s contest, an election that could cost more than a quarter-billion dollars when all the primary and general election spending is counted.

“We raised $828k from 2,526 donors; that is amazing. But as you know, the race for Illinois governor will set a record as the costliest race in American history,” Pawar said in a statement ending his campaign Thursday. “For democracy’s sake, I hope we see this as a troubling trend.”

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/ameya-pawar-drops-out-illinois-governor-243723

4 replies, 1106 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pawar drops out of Illinois governor's race (Original post)
DonViejo Oct 12 OP
bearsfootball516 Oct 12 #1
mvd Oct 12 #3
ProfessorGAC Oct 12 #4
Leith Oct 12 #2

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 04:23 PM

1. That's a shame

Really need to put a Democrat back in place as governor of Illinois. Considering how blue the state is, it's amazing they don't have one.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bearsfootball516 (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 04:33 PM

3. I agree

Also amazes me that Maryland, Vermont and Massachusetts also have Republican governors. Just doesn’t seem right. Not sure how it happened.

Reply to this post

Response to bearsfootball516 (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 04:34 PM

4. A Reaction To A Crook

The northeast didn't turn out to vote enough to stomp the southern part of the state

Reply to this post

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Thu Oct 12, 2017, 04:32 PM

2. A Candidate Drops Out Because He Doesn't Have Enough Money

to continue to conduct a campaign. That is such a shitty way of running the country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread