HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Education: "The Big...

Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:58 PM

Education: "The Big Enchilada" (Jonathan Kozol)

Harper's Magazine Notebook (August 2007)

Loyal defenders of our nation's public schools have for decades ardently opposed the concept of "school vouchers" and other privatizing schemes that threaten to dismantle the democratic legacy of public education. In recent years, however, even as privatizing forces have made massive inroads..., many of those who profess to believe in public education have been lulled into a puzzling passivity...

Some years ago, a friend who works on Wall Street handed me a stock-market prospectus in which a group of analysts at an investment-banking firm known as Montgomery Securities described the financial benefits to be derived from privatizing our public schools. "The education industry", according to these analysts, "represents, in our opinion, the final frontier of a number of sectors once under public control" that "have either voluntarily opened" or, they note in pointed terms, have "been forced" to open up to private enterprise.

Indeed, they write, "the education industry represents the largest market opportunity" since health-care services were privatized during the 1970s... "The larger developing opportunity is in the K-12 EMO market, led by private elementary school providers..." From the point of view of private profit, one of these analysts enthusiastically observes, "the K-12 market is the Big Enchilada".

Language as outright cynical as this is never heard in the...civic-minded arguments that voucher (and charter) advocates present when speaking to poor parents... The black and Hispanic kids with whom I've worked for forty years in Boston and New York have no reason to suspect that their little destinies, downgraded and diminished for so long by governmental penury, have now become the object of so large a corporate appetite...

The next and more ambitious stage in the introduction of the private market and its values into public schools did not become possible until the voucher advocates made the... decision to renounce the terminology of "vouchers" and to forgo temporarily their efforts to assume the outright ownership of schools. They settled instead for the management of schools that technically remained within the public sector. Newly created corporations, which characteristically adopted such academically impressive names as "Nobel Learning" or "Edison Schools", began convincing officials...to contract with them to operate at first a few, then larger numbers, of their schools.

Almost simultaneously...the testing affiliates of some of our largest textbook publishers, as well as the major test-prep companies... began to move into our public schools... By 2005, the schools were generating $2.8 billion a year for the testing industry. In both these areas... the encroachment of the private sector on public education has been mightily assisted by provisions that the Bush Administration managed to insert into the No Child Left Behind Act...

Some $490 billion (four percent of GNP) is spent on education yearly in the United States. It will be an act of social suicide if liberals blithely continue to dismiss the opportunities this vast amount of money represents for corporate predation.

http://www.billtotten.blogspot.com/2007/08/big-enchilada.html

13 replies, 4083 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Education: "The Big Enchilada" (Jonathan Kozol) (Original post)
HiPointDem Jul 2012 OP
snot Jul 2012 #1
lindysalsagal Jul 2012 #2
woo me with science Jul 2012 #3
HiPointDem Jul 2012 #5
woo me with science Jul 2012 #4
MichiganVote Jul 2012 #6
woo me with science Jul 2012 #7
woo me with science Jul 2012 #8
Starry Messenger Jul 2012 #9
woo me with science Aug 2012 #10
madfloridian Dec 2012 #11
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #12
KoKo Mar 2013 #13

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:10 AM

1. K&R'd and bookmarked!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:20 AM

2. The war on teachers is real. Tenure, unions, all of it.

Because they think they can make a buck. Privatize! Sell stocks! Grades for sale!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:26 AM

3. The time for partisan denial and defensiveness is over.

We are under assault, and that assault is bipartisan and funded by corporate interests.

Wake the hell up, America. Oppose evil no matter WHO proposes it. We desperately need a united opposition to this crap, and it is willful partisan denial and unwillingness to confront evil when it comes from our own party that is standing in the way of fighting back.

Good god, wake up for the sake of your children and your grandchildren.

The denial must stop.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=146626

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:36 AM

5. "that assault is bipartisan and funded by corporate interests." indeed.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:29 AM

4. HUGE K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 05:38 AM

6. Education has been sold to the lowest bidder. Obama has had his hand in this sale too.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:12 PM

7. We live under corporate ethics and corporate morality now,

Profit is the only driving force. Profit is the only motive. Profit is the only thing that matters.

They have seized our government now, so the opportunities are limitless.

Remember the bird seed company that calculated that leaving the poison in its seed and facing any possible fines was way more lucrative than taking it out...

We live under corporate ethics and corporate morality now. Occasionally there will be a show of punishment for our consumption, but it is a farce, a facade, like the little, irrelevant fines for selling poisoned bird seed. They are making the decisions, and we are the birds.

And now they are coming to profit from our children.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 10:27 AM

8. Kick

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 AM

9. k&r

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 4, 2012, 07:52 AM

10. kick

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:41 PM

11. Just saw this post today.

Kicking it for others to see.

Reply to this post

Response to madfloridian (Reply #11)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 06:58 PM

12. thanks.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:40 PM

13. State by State...Corporate Rip Offs ...Charter Schools for Profit

from our Taxpayers who want localized control and not roving bands of Teach for America groupies moving up the ladder into politics. (yes, I'm being harsh because not all TFA are Corporate/Government Ladder climbers...but, from what I've read there are too many who fit that description.

Recommend.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread