HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What is up with advertise...

Thu Sep 21, 2017, 08:02 AM

What is up with advertisers notions of "winning" these days?

I groaned when all the commercials for back-to-school sales included the phrase, "Win back-to-school", but now they are encouraging me to "win" Halloween.

I'm as competitive as the next guy, when it is warranted, but is it necessary to "win" a holiday or non-competitive event? I do realize that their definition of winning involves buying stuff, but c'mon.

3 replies, 892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply What is up with advertisers notions of "winning" these days? (Original post)
FSogol Sep 2017 OP
TheMastersNemesis Sep 2017 #1
FSogol Sep 2017 #3
WhiskeyGrinder Sep 2017 #2

Response to FSogol (Original post)

Thu Sep 21, 2017, 08:37 AM

1. The Obsession Of Winning Is A Sickness In The Land.

Reality shows in general are all about winning at all costs. Shows like Survivor et al are about winning and the means justify the ends. It ia all about manipulation, lying, conniving, distortion, intimidation, disloyalty, betrayal and many other nasty human traits as part of a "game". It is very corrosive socially.

We see the same thing in our politics. Winning in legislative or policy matters means more than the damage or how terrible something is. All that matters is you win no matter the body count.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 21, 2017, 08:46 AM

3. Good point. Social media seems to rely on "winning" too. How many times do we see,

"so and so completely destroys X", when in reality, it should be "so and so says something."

Sad trend that probably lent itself to Trumpy becoming President.

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Original post)

Thu Sep 21, 2017, 08:43 AM

2. Some countries have state propaganda; we have advertising.

American capitalism relies on winners and losers.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread