HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » It was "White Power" terr...

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 11:45 AM

It was "White Power" terrorism.. Not a "White Nationalist" protest

Trump is leading (not merely supporting) a White Power movement by staffing White Power leaders *inside* the White House and within his entire administration.

The GOP has been advancing the goals of this White Power movement slowly for decades, more rapidly for the last 15 years, and explosively since Trump won the GOP primary last year. Their shift from near party-wide opposition of Trump during the primary to near party-wide support during the general election locked them into this freight-train of horror.

We need to make sure that the nation understands that a white-power movement has hold of the White House and thus it's "political arm", the Republican National Committee.

We need to speak with honesty and clarity. It's radical "white power" terrorism. Stop using "White Nationalist". That is the marketing agency speak that mainstreams their views.

8 replies, 1109 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply It was "White Power" terrorism.. Not a "White Nationalist" protest (Original post)
zaj Aug 13 OP
speaktruthtopower Aug 13 #1
zaj Aug 13 #2
speaktruthtopower Aug 13 #4
zaj Aug 13 #5
zaj Aug 13 #3
Skidmore Aug 13 #6
zaj Aug 13 #7
Skidmore Aug 13 #8

Response to zaj (Original post)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 11:53 AM

1. It would be terrorism if...

it was premeditated in advance of the rally and not a spur of the moment decision by a disaffected 20 year old.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to speaktruthtopower (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:00 PM

2. "violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

I strongly agree that our side must be accurate. But it doesn't matter if the terrorist is moved by the spirit of the moment or planned it for 10 years. It's terrorism when "violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

https://goo.gl/vNEzw

Reply to this post

Response to zaj (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:05 PM

4. The link doesn't work

Reply to this post

Response to speaktruthtopower (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:09 PM

5. Here's a direct link...

I tried to shorten it because it's an ugly, long Google search link... but here you go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+terrorism&oq=def&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l3j69i65l2.3245j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I quoted the Dictionary.com definition but my link references HR McMaster's recent quotes and other sources talking about this same issue.

Reply to this post

Response to speaktruthtopower (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:04 PM

3. Also, I think I might have mis-emphasized my point

We need to stop staying "White Nationalist" and start saying "White Power". "White Nationalist" is their polished term designed to make it less ugly sounding. Further, the issue at hand is entirely about "Power". We need to confront that.

Reply to this post

Response to zaj (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:17 PM

6. No difference. They are

trying to force white supremacy into positions of power at a national level and have been somewhat successful. Both labels can be equated and defined for the threat they represent if used interchangeably. Doesn't matter what you call them. They threaten democracy and civil rights.

Reply to this post

Response to Skidmore (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 12:31 PM

7. White Nationalism is designed to mask the ugly... Let's not help them hide it

It matters what words we let take hold.

They chose White Nationalism on purpose; the term is designed to mask the ugly. We shouldn't let them do that. Expose the ugliness through the words we use. Let's not help them hide it by using their words.

Reply to this post

Response to zaj (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 01:01 PM

8. Frankly,

I think KKK or NeoNazi are labels that convey it all in stark terms with the emotional and historical tags that will get people's attention across the spectrum.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread