HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dan Rather: Trump's Charl...

Sat Aug 12, 2017, 09:31 PM

Dan Rather: Trump's Charlottesville message was disgusting and counterproductive

What has unfolded in Charlottesville, Virginia today is a national tragedy fueled by bigotry, white nationalism, and home grown terrorism.

Freedom of speech is not a license for the incitement of violence. And the neo-Nazis and KKK members who gathered are anathema to everything this country should stand for.

For too long President Trump was silent. But when he did speak his refusal to call out the hatred for what it is, and his general message of false equivalence was disgusting and counterproductive. "This egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides, on many sides. That's a dangerous misrepresentation of history from a politician who has bigotry as a large part of his base.

All decent Americans of all political persuasions cannot allow these actions to remain unchallenged - both the hatred on display in Charlottesille and the rhetoric of the President.

https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/posts/10159162911735716

4 replies, 2020 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dan Rather: Trump's Charlottesville message was disgusting and counterproductive (Original post)
Miles Archer Aug 12 OP
Hieronymus Aug 12 #1
Boomerproud Aug 12 #2
Docreed2003 Aug 12 #3
smirkymonkey Aug 13 #4

Response to Miles Archer (Original post)

Sat Aug 12, 2017, 09:44 PM

1. Thank you, Dan Rather.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Aug 12, 2017, 09:51 PM

2. Dan Rather has seen it all, and he's still passionate about righteousness.

If that doesn't prove that you don't have to become cynical, I don't know what is. I wish I had his strength.

Reply to this post

Response to Boomerproud (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 12, 2017, 10:56 PM

3. Excellent post...we should all strive to be less cynical

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 13, 2017, 08:36 AM

4. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread