HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Kingston coal ash spill w...

Sat Jul 22, 2017, 11:54 AM

Kingston coal ash spill workers treated as 'expendables

It was the nation’s largest coal ash spill, and it would bring a stampede of government supervisors, environmental advocates, lawyers, journalists, politicians and contractors to Kingston, Tenn.

But not one of them asked why the hundreds of blue-collar laborers cleaning up the mess weren’t wearing even basic dust masks.

Or why their safety gear consisted of nothing more than short-sleeved T-shirts, jeans, work boots and vinyl reflective vests.

Now, nearly a decade later, at least 17 of those workers are dead, dozens more are dying, and the conditions under which they worked are being blamed.

“I call them ‘the expendables,’” said Janie Clark, wife of a worker in failing health. “These men were treated like collateral damage, and they fell between the cracks in this toxic place.”

[link:http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2017/07/21/kingston-coal-ash-spill-workers-treated-expendables-lawsuit-sick-and-dying-contends/451537001/|

2 replies, 801 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kingston coal ash spill workers treated as 'expendables (Original post)
airmid Jul 2017 OP
Stuart G Jul 2017 #1
KT2000 Jul 2017 #2

Response to airmid (Original post)

Sat Jul 22, 2017, 11:57 AM

1. Very sad...k and r

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to airmid (Original post)

Sat Jul 22, 2017, 12:27 PM

2. protective gear implies liability

so companies do not want their workers to wear any. Government listens to the company. Workers are truly considered expendables. This happens so often it is a disgrace. I hope these workers win their case because it may change the way cleanups are done.

We have a Superfund site (dioxin, mercury etc). The state put up Keep out/health hazard signs and the local politicians forced them to take the signs down because it makes the town look bad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread