HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » So Repubs don't you to si...

Fri Jun 30, 2017, 11:47 PM

So Repubs don't you to sign up for gun registry to buy a gun but giving voter info to Trump is ok?

If folks can give this info for no reason, they can certainly give it to buy a gun.

2 replies, 641 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply So Repubs don't you to sign up for gun registry to buy a gun but giving voter info to Trump is ok? (Original post)
nikibatts Jun 2017 OP
ProudLib72 Jun 2017 #1
NutmegYankee Jul 2017 #2

Response to nikibatts (Original post)

Fri Jun 30, 2017, 11:57 PM

1. It's my goddam 2nd amendment right to own a gun

that no one knows about so I can shoot my dick off with it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to nikibatts (Original post)

Sat Jul 1, 2017, 12:09 AM

2. Techncially this info is provided on the ATF 4473 form.

But a registry requires maintenance - people move or sell items. The issue is a large percentage of the population sees ownership of guns as a Constitutional right and they will never comply with registration laws. The belief is the government has no right to know what personal property you have at home. No-one wants to get into inventorying their personal belongings. This differs from cars and boats where the registration is because they leave the property to operate on public ways.

Connecticut, my home state, attempted to require registration of assault weapons (not anything else) and a substantial amount (50,000-100,000) of owners refused to comply. Now people can say "then prosecute them", but that is dangerous and extremely expensive. Dangerous because Connecticut made it a felony to fail to register, leaving someone about to be caught for what they view as a right with the choice of permanent life-long second class citizenship or fighting to the death for honor. Expensive because the law enforcement needed and court costs of so many cases would dramatically balloon the budget. So Connecticut just had to let it go.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread