HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The rural xenophobic, gov...

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:06 PM

The rural xenophobic, government hating racists have a sad

Poll of rural Americans shows deep cultural divide with urban centers

WASHINGTON ó The political divide between rural and urban America is more cultural than it is economic, rooted in rural residentsí deep misgivings about the nationís rapidly changing demographics, their sense that Christianity is under siege and their perception that the federal government caters most to the needs of people in big cities, according to a wide-ranging poll that examines cultural attitudes across the United States.

http://wapo.st/2saSEyR

19 replies, 2438 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply The rural xenophobic, government hating racists have a sad (Original post)
SHRED Jun 19 OP
bettyellen Jun 19 #1
SHRED Jun 19 #2
bettyellen Jun 19 #3
SHRED Jun 19 #4
geek tragedy Jun 19 #6
bettyellen Jun 19 #11
YCHDT Jun 19 #10
white_wolf Jun 19 #15
bettyellen Jun 19 #16
leftstreet Jun 19 #5
SHRED Jun 19 #13
Coventina Jun 19 #7
SHRED Jun 19 #8
LonePirate Jun 19 #9
hunter Jun 19 #14
bettyellen Jun 19 #17
LonePirate Jun 19 #18
bettyellen Jun 19 #19
Dawson Leery Jun 19 #12

Response to SHRED (Original post)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:10 PM

1. It reminds me of a Junior Acheivement regional convention I went o in HS.

(A perk given for axing an economics test) A weekend in the Poconos for Junior Adheivers from Virginia up to Maine and New Hampshire.

Alls they did was band together and vote against NY, because they resented us. That was the sum total in their thought about the votes. It was quite a surprise because face to face they were fine with us. But they wanted to feel powerful.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bettyellen (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:26 PM

2. They are truly deplorable

All that "kindness" is a mask to cover their extreme hatred.

Reply to this post

Response to SHRED (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:34 PM

3. That was the first time I'd really been exposed to that ignorance- and it's funny because

One of the best things about NYC is how the relentless stream of newcomers hoping for better lives keeps it vibrant and ever interesting. The people who can't or could never fit in with the homogeneous, oppressive cultures they grew up in and want some real freedom. Who understand freedom can be so much more than a gun and a truck. Those are the folks that make us even greater. Fuck the haters.

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:37 PM

4. Well said

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:44 PM

6. Indeed, lots of "urban elites" grew up in Trumpistan and saw higher education as their escape ladder

Reply to this post

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:24 PM

11. I remember being ostracized for enjoying Manhattan too much...

Some Bronx people thought that made me too uppity and couldn't see the point of leaving their comfort zone. Or felt it was a betrayal to want more.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:18 PM

10. yeap

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 03:36 PM

15. I just moved to Brooklyn from rural TN...

And I've never been happier. You hear all this stuff about how New Yorkers are rude or mean but the majority of people I've met have been really nice and welcoming.

I really don't get the hate some people have for those of us who prefer living in cities.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #15)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 03:41 PM

16. Welcome! I'm sure you'll find your tribe here. Get your NYC ID for free entry to loads of

Great museums and other perks. Also check out the endless free music and other performances all over in city parks and Lincoln Center. There's so much fun to be had.
:cheers:

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:42 PM

5. For a small segment, they sure get a lot of attention

Reply to this post

Response to leftstreet (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:09 PM

13. Yep...and we're suppose to "understand" them?

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:50 PM

7. Can't read the article. Behind a paywall.

Reply to this post

Response to Coventina (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 12:58 PM

8. I recently subscribed

WP has been good.
They deserve our support.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:11 PM

9. Most people only care about or vote due to a cultural divide when they are economically stressed.

If rural areas were booming and people there were thriving economically, they would care a lot less about cultural differences and issues. The culture divide becomes a scapegoat when people go searching for reasons or excuses for their own economic challenges.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #9)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:48 PM

14. These rural areas are not "booming" because they suck. The interesting kids leave...

... the LGBT kids, the artistic kids, the future engineers and scientists... all the kids who realize there is more to life than getting drunk and fucking on the weekends.

These rural areas also reject immigrants, especially immigrants who are not white or don't worship the same mean-spirited god they do.

Worst of all, these rural areas are mind numbingly boring, which largely accounts for the drug use, alcoholism, and teenagers and young twenty-somethings engaging in high risk behaviors, killing and maiming themselves or otherwise ruining whatever opportunities they might have had for a better life.

It's a downward spiral.

And then you've got the city slicker Republicans using Fox News, hate radio, churches, and other means to fan these rural voter's fears, cynically playing upon their ignorance to gain and hold onto political power for themselves.

I think it's a mistake to romanticize depressed small town white U.S.A., or to respect their ways. It's their own "family values" that are killing their communities. It's a maladaptive culture having much in common with the corrosive gang culture of my own community, people unable to see beyond the boundaries of their own little hell.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #9)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 03:45 PM

17. The biggest part of that economic stress is a longing for the days when they didn't have to compete.

Women and immigrants are challenging them to compete, and they don't like the lower wages they allowed to happen by not supporting wage increases. Now it's their problem ALSO.

Sorry, but they don't appreciate what they had and jacked it up themselves. They did it with wages and now they are doing it with healthcare.

Reply to this post

Response to bettyellen (Reply #17)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 03:52 PM

18. Well, there is nothing to compete for in many rural areas as there are no jobs there.

Then there's the phenomenon of white men not wanting to do the jobs that white women and minorities are willing to do.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #18)

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 04:45 PM

19. The reason they don't want the "jobs women and minorities do"

Is that they're not adequately compensated- and this happened because their sexism and racism let it happen.
Boo fucking hoo. Where's that bootstrapping entrepreneurial spirit we've heard so much about? We have been flooding colleges and moving to where the jobs are to still be underpaid. They put their lot in with business owners who automated and offshore their jobs out of existence, instead of having solidarity with anyone NOT THEM.

They need to understand that they've been bamboozled.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 19, 2017, 02:03 PM

12. These are the Boers of North America.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread