HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » So the pundits are saying...

Wed May 3, 2017, 09:21 AM

So the pundits are saying that had it not been for Hillary's server, Comey would not have been a

factor in the election outcome.

Well, to that I say, if it had not been for a fake scandal made up about Benghazi the existence of her server would never have been known, especially since it was never hacked.

The Benghazi investigation was all about the fact that Hillary said a negative Islamic video was the basis for the attack instead of saying from the beginning that it was Islamic terrorist attack that Hillary somehow was not prepared for or properly handled. The focus became about Hillary allegedly lying about the reason for the attack.

We now know that Gen. Flynn himself originally said the video was the cause of the attack and he was the official who put out the official word at first. Thus, the entire Benghazi investigation was based on a lie, half truths, and false information. It was only during the intense bitching about this shit that the existence of the server was revealed.

My response to the pundits is if there had been no ridiculous Benghazi hearings...

7 replies, 876 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply So the pundits are saying that had it not been for Hillary's server, Comey would not have been a (Original post)
nikibatts May 2017 OP
Orrex May 2017 #1
Lee-Lee May 2017 #2
unblock May 2017 #4
2naSalit May 2017 #6
nikibatts May 2017 #5
jmowreader May 2017 #7
Tom Rinaldo May 2017 #3

Response to nikibatts (Original post)

Wed May 3, 2017, 09:40 AM

1. Good point, but on the other hand...

Even if Comey had, in October 2016, revealed everything that we now know/suspect about the Trump/Russia collaborations, his idiot fuckhead supporters would still have voted for him with undiminished cultish zeal.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 3, 2017, 09:44 AM

2. The server was just plain bad judgement

I'm sure it wasn't her decision. Given reports of how unfamiliar she was with technology I am sure she trusted people to get the results she wanted and those people make a series of stupid decisions. But the whole scheme was definitely bad judgement at best.

Saying it would have been ok if events just had not lead to it being discovered kind of underscores how bad a choice it was.

Reply to this post

Response to Lee-Lee (Reply #2)

Wed May 3, 2017, 10:00 AM

4. it was the exact same judgment as powell and rice before her.

it was legal at the time, and in fact was on powell's specific advice.

the entire investigation was idiotic on an objective level, it was a pure smear job.

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #4)

Wed May 3, 2017, 12:04 PM

6. Lest we forget!

Reply to this post

Wed May 3, 2017, 10:25 AM

5. Actually, it may have been a good idea in view of the fact that State Dept servers were repeatedly

hacked. Nevertheless, my point is that there was more than one factor about the Benghazi investigations that contributed to the diversion of Hillary's campaign.

Reply to this post

Wed May 3, 2017, 12:50 PM

7. No, it was not

The GOP claims Hillary could have used the State Department's email system. Well...besides the fact that system had been attacked, it was designed in the late 1980s and could only be accessed from inside a State Department facility. (Defense Department computers were as bad. When I got to Fort Drum in 1992, the two most powerful computers on post were thr Microvax at Finance and the Mac II in my barracks room. They were running division supply on IBM XTs and moving files with floppies.)

Because the government felt no need to buy the State Department a new computer, the Secretary was forced to improvise...Colin Powell too the country to war on Yahoomail

Reply to this post

Wed May 3, 2017, 09:58 AM

3. Good people mess up some times

Even the brightest and most competent aren't perfect all the time. But that is the only realm where we have "total control"; our own actions - so unforced errors are costly.

So yes I agree with you about the ridiculous Benghazi hearings But they were on the verge of totally striking out and backfiring on the Republicans (Hillary's popularity surged after she shined during an aggressive 12 hour day of questioning). Benghazi was increasingly looking like an embarrassing highly partisan expensive witch hunt (because it was). Then Republicans lucked out and stumbled upon (through their massive effort) an unforced Clinton error - the private server. Suddenly they didn't have to keep screaming "Benghazi!" They could keep screaming "emails!" instead.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread