HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Iraq War Vet Is First Dem...

Wed Apr 19, 2017, 12:44 PM

Iraq War Vet Is First Democrat To Jump Into Tennessee Senate Race

Source: Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-mackler-bob-corker_us_58f67436e4b05b9d613e02e2?soh&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

(snip)
James Mackler, an Iraq War veteran and lawyer in Nashville, announced Sunday that he is running for Senate, becoming the first Democrat to try to take the seat of Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) in 2018.

“As a soldier, I know the strength of teamwork, cooperation and the benefits of diversity to accomplish a mission,” Mackler told The Huffington Post. “I know that true leadership really comes from a sense of duty, and without some change in this country, I really worry about the future of my family and those of every Tennessean. My wife and I want to raise our daughters in a nation that celebrates the best of America, not in a country that’s as divided as we are now.”

Tennessee handily went to Donald Trump in the 2016 election, and just two of its 11 members of Congress are Democrats. If Mackler gets through the primary, he’ll no doubt face an uphill battle to win a Senate seat.

Still, state and local Democrats said Tuesday that they’re excited about him, with some saying he may be the strongest Democratic statewide candidate they’ve had since Harold Ford Jr., who served in the House before losing to Corker in a close 2006 Senate race.

(snip)

1 replies, 5367 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Iraq War Vet Is First Democrat To Jump Into Tennessee Senate Race (Original post)
DinahMoeHum Apr 2017 OP
SergeStorms Apr 2017 #1

Response to DinahMoeHum (Original post)

Fri Apr 21, 2017, 03:19 AM

1. I can't wait to see......

how the "patriotic" Republicans smear an honest to goodness soldier who defended the country. Of course Mr. "five deferments" Trump gets a total pass from these "fierce patriots". The GOP will drag him through the mud, they always do. I hope he's up for the GOP dirty tricks regiment that will be tasked with destroying his valor and character. The GOP can't win without somehow cheating.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread