HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ron Paul's hypocritical v...

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:44 AM

Ron Paul's hypocritical vision of health care: charity or death, "that's what freedom is all about"

Ron Paul: GOP ‘Could Be’ Hypocrites For Using Gov Health Care For Themselves, Repealing It For Public

Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD), who campaigned on a pledge to repeal health reform, gained notoriety shortly after being elected when he complained about a delay in receiving his government-sponsored health care benefits as a member of Congress. While repeal efforts have unified most Republicans, Harris’ comments sparked a debate within the GOP caucus over charges of hypocrisy. Several new Republican lawmakers have turned down their government-sponsored plans, but the vast majority have chosen to accept taxpayer money to help pay for their own health benefits and coverage for their staff.

Speaking to ThinkProgress shortly after the swearing-in ceremony for Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) explained to us that — although he supports repealing health reform — he hasn’t evaluated his own package of taxpayer-subsidized health benefits for himself and his staff. At first, Paul said he wasn’t sure of the size of the taxpayer subsidy. Asked if he thought it was hypocritical for members of Congress to accept government subsidized and regulated health plans while repealing similar benefits for everyone else, Paul replied blithely, “(c)ould be”:

KEYES: Do you think you’ll be voting for it when it comes up, voting for repeal?

PAUL: I would.

KEYES: Do you think you’ll also be giving up government-sponsored health care for yourself?

PAUL: I would hope so. [...] Well, I will be voting against all of this stuff, but whether I’m going to be changing my policies or not, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. I pay a fee every month for it.

KEYES: But the government, the members of Congress and their staff are all subsidized by taxpayers, government subsidies.

PAUL: I don’t know how much the subsidy is — [...]

FANG: Do you think it’s hypocritical to take government subsidized and regulated health care as a member of Congress but repeal it for everyone else?

PAUL: Could be.

Watch it:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/01/18/139487/ron-paul-gop-hypocrisy/

Ron Paul’s Campaign Manager Died of Pneumonia, Penniless and Uninsured

At CNN's Tea Party-indulging debate on Monday, Ron Paul, a medical doctor, faced a pointed line of questioning from Wolf Blitzer regarding the case of an uninsured young man who suddenly found himself in dire need of intensive health care.

Should the state pay his bills? Paul responded, "That's what freedom is all about: taking your own risks. This whole idea that you have to take care of everybody—"

He never quite finished that point, letting the audience's loud applause finish it for him. So Blitzer pressed on, asking if he meant that "society should just let him die," which earned a chilling round of approving hoots from the crowd. Paul would not concede that much outright, instead responding with a personal anecdote, the upshot being that in such a case, it was up to churches to care for the dying young man. So basically, yeah. He'd let him die.

As it turns out, Paul was not speaking purely in hypotheticals. Back in 2008, Kent Snyder — Paul's former campaign chairman — died of complications from pneumonia. Like the man in Blitzer's example, the 49-year-old Snyder (pictured) was relatively young and seemingly healthy* when the illness struck. He was also uninsured. When he died on June 26, 2008, two weeks after Paul withdrew his first bid for the presidency, his hospital costs amounted to $400,000. The bill was handed to Snyder's surviving mother (pictured, left), who was incapable of paying. Friends launched a website to solicit donations.

<...>

After Snyder's death, Paul posted a message to the website for his Campaign for Liberty — a pre-Tea Party organization which served Paul as both presidential marketing tool and platform to promote his non-interventionist, free market ideals.

He wrote:

"Like so many in our movement, Kent sacrificed much for the cause of liberty. Kent poured every ounce of his being into our fight for freedom. He will always hold a place in my heart and in the hearts of my family."

And that, friends, is what freedom is really all about.

http://gawker.com/5840024/ron-pauls-campaign-manager-died-of-pneumonia-penniless-and-uninsured

<...>

Snyder experienced Paul’s world of free market health care, a peculiar system that distinguishes the United States as the only Western country that does not provide basic care to its citizens. A look back at the charity effort launched to save Snyder’s life reveals a grim failure. Despite Paul’s insistence that charity is the appropriate response to America’s uninsured crisis, Snyder’s friends raised $34,870.53, far short of the $400,000 necessary to pay off his bills. View a screen shot below (click to enlarge):

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/09/14/318633/ron-paul-campaign-manage-died-uninsured/

Does Rand Paul have government health care?

8 replies, 2224 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ron Paul's hypocritical vision of health care: charity or death, "that's what freedom is all about" (Original post)
ProSense Dec 2011 OP
ProSense Dec 2011 #1
freshwest Dec 2011 #2
JDPriestly Dec 2011 #3
DCKit Dec 2011 #4
LeftishBrit Dec 2011 #5
Stuart G Dec 2011 #6
NNN0LHI Dec 2011 #7
Sarah Ibarruri Jan 2012 #8

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 02:10 AM

1. Kick! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProSense (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 03:14 AM

2. And again!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 03:25 AM

3. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 08:15 AM

4. Early intervention and access to health care....

he may not only have survived, but the costs would have been far lower if they'd got him into treatment earlier.

Ron Paul: "I'm glad that you're there for me, happier that you don't realize that I'm not there for you, your family or your interests.""

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:12 AM

5. KICK!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:14 AM

6. Kick and Rec nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:04 PM

7. The GOP slogan should be big gubmet health care for me but none for you

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 2, 2012, 04:28 PM

8. Oh of course. Since Ron Paul sits nicely in his multi-million dollar homes and knows he can afford

a hospital if he gets sick, he doesn't care one iota what happens to anyone else. He's nothing more than a Republican, and one FAR WORSE than most Republicans. At least with some Republicans you can see they're coming from a really ignorant point of view and might have a really misguided morality, plus many of them don't sound terribly intelligent. Ron Paul knows perfectly well he's nefarious in his view. He's Libertarian through and through, and Libertarians are nothing but completely amoral Republicans with not even religion to hide behind. In fact, the man doesn't even make an effort to PRETEND to be anything but nefarious.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread