HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » One question on the ACA.

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:27 PM

One question on the ACA.

Were citizens required to purchase ACA coverage or just purchase healthcare insurance from any provider?

45 keeps saying people were required to buy government insurance or pay a fine.

8 replies, 609 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply One question on the ACA. (Original post)
nikibatts Mar 2017 OP
elleng Mar 2017 #1
TexasBushwhacker Mar 2017 #2
WillowTree Mar 2017 #3
forgotmylogin Mar 2017 #4
The Velveteen Ocelot Mar 2017 #5
Control-Z Mar 2017 #6
subterranean Mar 2017 #7
csziggy Mar 2017 #8

Response to nikibatts (Original post)

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:29 PM

1. ANY insurance.

and of course, as I understand it, 'ACA coverage' is not 'government insurance,' it's just INSURANCE. The only 'government insurance' around is medicare and medicaid. But who KNEW it was so complicated???

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:32 PM

2. Of course not

Most people, 80% I think, get their insurance through their employer. Individuals who needed to buy their own could buy outside the exchanges, but they had to be a qualifying plan that met minimum standards. That was to keep people from buying the junk insurance that used to be available. If you wanted a premium subsidy it had to be through the exchanges.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:34 PM

3. People are, for the most part, required to purchase ACA-compliant coverage.

In other words, with very few exceptions, all plans that you can purchase now are "ACA coverage", but they don't have to be through the exchanges. They just have meet ACA requirements. (This, other than a few plans out there that were grandfathered in from before, but people could only stay in those plans if they were already in them. Those can't be purchased as a new policy, and most of them have been discontinued by now.)

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:36 PM

4. Also, wasn't a huge part of it the website?

Which was designed to match people up with qualifying plans that were appropriate for their income and situation?

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:39 PM

5. There isn't any such thing as "government insurance" that people can buy.

The requirement is to purchase private insurance in order that the insurance companies have enough funds to pay claims, including those for pre-existing conditions. If you don't buy insurance you have to pay a tax.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #5)

Wed Mar 15, 2017, 11:29 PM

6. And a negligible tax at that.

Though I understand it is bit more now than it was the first few years.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 AM

7. Anyone who doesn't have insurance through other means

such as an employer, Medicare, the VA, etc., is required to purchase ACA-compliant insurance (or enroll in Medicaid if eligible) or pay a penalty.

However, you are exempt if you can prove financial hardship, are a member of certain religious groups, or are within the income limits for Medicaid but live in one of the states that opted out of the Medicaid expansion.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 16, 2017, 12:32 AM

8. If you bought through the HealthCare.gov site it was from a private insurance company

It just made it easier to compare policies and to apply for subsidies.

The first year I was on ACA coverage my policy was from Assurant Insurance. They dropped out and the second year were on Blue Cross/Blue Shield which I am staying on until I go on Medicare in July.

Some friends of ours who were dropped off Medicaid when Scott and the Republicans refused the Medicaid expansion went directly to the Blue Cross/Blue Shield office and bought a policy from them directly. They still got the subsidies which was the only way they were going to be able to have insurance at all.

NONE of these policies were "government insurance" by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread