HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Anti-Semitism searches su...

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:09 AM

Anti-Semitism searches surge after Trump press conference

“Anti-Semitism” was among Merriam-Webster’s most-searched words on Thursday, after President Donald Trump said at a press conference he is "the least anti-Semitic person that you've ever seen in your entire life."

The statement was part of Trump’s response to a Jewish reporter who asked a question about how Trump might address the recent rise of anti-Semitic violence.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/320000-anti-semitism-search-surges-after-trump-press-conference

9 replies, 1217 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anti-Semitism searches surge after Trump press conference (Original post)
herding cats Feb 2017 OP
madaboutharry Feb 2017 #1
herding cats Feb 2017 #2
bravenak Feb 2017 #3
Maru Kitteh Feb 2017 #4
KittyWampus Feb 2017 #6
Behind the Aegis Feb 2017 #5
herding cats Feb 2017 #7
Behind the Aegis Feb 2017 #8
Leghorn21 Feb 2017 #9

Response to herding cats (Original post)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:12 AM

1. And Trump totally misunderstood the question.

Trump has a processing problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:20 AM

2. I'm not sure if he didn't understand it, or just didn't want to address the real question.

With Trump it's hard to be sure.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:27 AM

3. He understood just fine

Reply to this post

Response to bravenak (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:33 AM

4. It's not that he misunderstood it, it's that he is literally incapable of

seeing any issue outside of the narcissistic lens of ME me ME ME ME ME ME ME ME I I I I I I I I I ME ME I ME I I ME I ME.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:22 AM

6. He didn't misunderstand. He's guilty of conspiring with white supremacists like Bannon.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:17 AM

5. I guess that is good.

But, IMO, it shows how many don't even know what it is, like the "president".

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:23 AM

7. That was my take.

It's good that people were curious and may have learned something about it today, but how could they not even know what anti-Semitisim was before today?

Reply to this post

Response to herding cats (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:30 AM

8. You would be surprised.

TygrBright wrote a piece yesterday, Hate Jews, Love Israel: The Logic of American Anti-Semitism, which I commented on and explained it was just part of the picture. However, it was a very good piece on right-wing anti-Semitism and how they don't recognize it in themselves.

There are some who don't think anti-Semitism is a "real" bigotry and is unworthy of discussion. Others think it is only "kikes" and "swastikas" which indicate anti-Semitism. But it is so much more. Unlike racism, to a smaller level sexism and homophobia, anti-Semitism is largely ignored and unknown, with the exceptions of the above and maybe a small knowledge of the Holocaust.

Think of it this way, they same way people claimed racism was over or we live in a post-racial society because we had a President who was African-American, many think anti-Semitism is rare because they don't hear about it and too many, Jews are doing well for themselves, so it much be a thing of the past or rare; it is neither. I saw something similar with the passage of marriage equality and people equating it with homophobia being "less important, since the battle for gay rights was over."

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 17, 2017, 01:38 AM

9. The way he treated that nice, low-key reporter? - I'm still raging behind that.

I can't bear to think of it, what's left of my emotions just - unnnnhhhhhhhhh ofallthefuckinnerve

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread