HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dove Pokes Fun at Trump W...

Tue Jan 31, 2017, 05:26 PM

Dove Pokes Fun at Trump With This #AlternativeFacts Ad That Lies About the Product

Last Sunday, Donald Trump’s senior adviser Kellyanne Conway coined the Orwellian term “alternative facts” to refer to press secretary Sean Spicer’s false claims about attendance at the president’s inauguration (among other things).

This weekend, one brand responded quickly.

Dove placed a two-page print ad, created by Ogilvy London, in various U.K. newspapers listing several #AlternativeFacts about its new antiperspirant. Included in the list are claims that the product will boost your IQ by 40 points, was first used by Cleopatra and “can help you remember distant relatives’ names at family gatherings.”

According to the ad, the product also “is a really good listener,” knows a dude who can get you on the guest list and “can plan your next holiday at a competitive rate.” It can even improve your wi-fi signal! (If only that were true.)

http://www.adweek.com/creativity/dove-pokes-fun-at-trump-with-this-alternativefacts-ad-that-lies-about-the-product/

4 replies, 1515 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dove Pokes Fun at Trump With This #AlternativeFacts Ad That Lies About the Product (Original post)
kpete Jan 2017 OP
cyclonefence Jan 2017 #1
brer cat Jan 2017 #2
Jim Lane Jan 2017 #3
Danmel Jan 2017 #4

Response to kpete (Original post)

Tue Jan 31, 2017, 05:38 PM

1. Switching from Secret to Dove n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 31, 2017, 08:18 PM

2. I love it!

Nothing will drive baby Fuhrer crazy faster than constant mocking. I hope many others do the same.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 31, 2017, 09:14 PM

3. It reminds me of the "Joe Isuzu" TV commercials.

One of the cars he pitched had a top speed of 300 mph. Isuzu would accept marbles and seashells in payment.

The ads weren't making fun of Trump, of course, but I appreciated the sly dig at advertisers' claims.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 31, 2017, 09:48 PM

4. Are they only running in the UK?

Not as brave as running them here and missing off the trumpettes

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread