HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump voters think Africa...

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 08:35 AM

Trump voters think African Americans are much less deserving than "average Americans"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-tesler/trump-voters-think-africa_b_13732500.html

[img][/img]

22 replies, 8626 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump voters think African Americans are much less deserving than "average Americans" (Original post)
djsunyc Dec 2016 OP
LonePirate Dec 2016 #1
heaven05 Dec 2016 #2
etherealtruth Dec 2016 #3
MadDAsHell Dec 2016 #4
Tarheel_Dem Dec 2016 #5
La Lioness Priyanka Dec 2016 #8
LanternWaste Dec 2016 #12
JI7 Dec 2016 #6
Yavin4 Dec 2016 #13
uponit7771 Dec 2016 #14
Bettie Dec 2016 #7
Beartracks Dec 2016 #9
Bettie Dec 2016 #10
zipplewrath Dec 2016 #11
Stellar Dec 2016 #15
DAngelo136 Dec 2016 #16
Sancho Dec 2016 #17
Sanity Claws Dec 2016 #18
forgotmylogin Dec 2016 #19
markpkessinger Jan 2017 #20
ElkeH Jan 2017 #21
kimbutgar Jan 2017 #22

Response to djsunyc (Original post)

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:13 AM

1. Racism from Trump voters? How shocking!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:25 AM

2. of course

these people and their ancestors will always be among the ones that have kept racism, fear of 'others' alive for generations past and future. Although now they have carte blanche....to be violent even.....

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 09:41 AM

3. tRump ran an entire campaign on this ....

In all fairness it wasn't only black people .... it was all people of color and all Muslims ... and women .... and Jewish folk ... and ....

This was a campaign run on bigotry and hate .... and that is what people voted for. some try to cite the "economy" ... but their economic concerns were that PoC and others had too much and white guys (emphasis on guys) deserved more.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:06 PM

4. What a weird survey; why seperate out only a single ethnic group? Asians? Native Americans? Latinos?

The LGBTQ community?

What an odd survey, to call out a single racial group like that. I usually like the Huffington Post but they are on some racist shit with this survey; I don't care what their "point" was.

Reply to this post

Response to MadDAsHell (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:22 PM

5. They probably did this survey in response to those "so-called" progressives who have been....

insisting that "identity politics" shouldn't play a role among Democrats. This is proof positive that they're wrong. Race played as much a role in this election as ASSange & Putin. If Democrats want a chance at winning the WH & Senate again, they'll ignore the fools running around screaming about "identity politics".

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 07:06 PM

8. because blacks have a unique racial history in this country.

and also maybe so called progressives can stop saying this election wasnt about race/racism

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:55 AM

12. Which is often the cause of intractable stubbornness and a refusal to learns new perspectives.

I don't care what their "point" was..."

Which is often the cause of intractable stubbornness and a refusal to learn new perspectives. So yeah... consistency, of course.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:27 PM

6. we need to stop pretending it's not about race

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:57 AM

13. This

We also need to make people understand that their bigotry is directly tied to their economic plight.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 06:56 PM

7. POC are part of the set of "Average Americans"

Also, they are included in the set of "Poor Americans" and "Wealthy Americans".

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 20, 2016, 11:45 PM

9. In reality, sure. But this survey might've made a distinction.

Much depends on how "average American" is defined... or, not defined -- in which case, much depends on how "average American" is perceived by the respondent to be defined.

=========================

Reply to this post

Response to Beartracks (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 21, 2016, 12:57 AM

10. OK. To me, both statements would have been equally true, since

POC (black and others) get the short end of the stick far too often and generally, the non-wealthy (of whatever color) get the shaft as well.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2016, 08:00 AM

15. Proof that Fox 'news' and right wing media are doing their job.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2016, 01:43 PM

16. I'm Black

And why would I give a f*ck what those doofuses think? They are irrelevant, inconsequential and immaterial to the aspirations and ambitions of Black folks as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2016, 10:21 AM

18. yet when it comes to war, they will welcome African-Americans

to be their cannon fodder.

I am so sick of this. Not a good way to feel on Christmas Eve. Maybe I should just unplug for a while instead of getting riled up.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2016, 06:07 PM

19. Sigh.

The Breitbart forums must be fast and furious, because there are Trump supporters who have taken to the IMDB forum for the movie HIDDEN FIGURES decrying loudly how they're fed up with movies that "lie" about the accomplishments of Black Americans, and how it always happens near Black History month. They're eager for Trump to end this...because the President so routinely involves the office in the content of Hollywood movies?

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 2, 2017, 12:03 AM

20. This is a poorly conceived and designed poll . . .

I don't doubt that many, maybe even most, Trump voters do feel this way. But the design of it renders it nearly useless, because given the way the poll is worded, agreement (or disagreement) with one question does not necessarily preclude also agreeing (or also disagreeing) with the other.

Also, the headline is very misleading. The poll measures the number of Trump voters who agree or disagree with either statement. It does not measure the respondents' beliefs about how deserving one group is relative to the other. The article reads more into the polll results than can actually be determined given the design of the poll.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 2, 2017, 01:12 AM

21. Fiscal conservatism 101

This is exactly why some whites are willing to vote against their own financial interests. They are fighting to preserve their privilege. Voting Democratic would mean voting for equality, an erosion of their privilege, making those voters unreachable for the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 2, 2017, 12:42 PM

22. I have a cousin who can pass for white, blonde hair blue eyes married to a white man

Unless you knew you'd assume she was white. I missed her at thanksgiving because she was with her white thump supporter in laws. We had New Year's Eve with her darker brother and his wife who is Latino but white looking. I invited this cousin but she declined. I found out that her husband's family can't deal with her side because we are"ghetto". I went to 12 years catholic school, graduated college, worked in the financial industry in my early career and own now two houses in San Francisco. Everyone except for her brother has a college degree. So the white thump supporter in laws think that all of our sides of family are ghetto. typical ignorant thump supporter attitude. I say f them and I really have no reason to ever respect and see them again.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread