HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » RESIST

Sat Dec 3, 2016, 09:55 AM

RESIST

After Trump’s Win, Secure Messaging App Signal’s Downloads Increase 400%

“I think there’s a lot of fear, given Trump’s alarming statements about surveillance and his penchant for revenge, that he will attempt to use surveillance to crush dissent.”

Signal, the encrypted messaging app that comes with an Edward Snowden endorsement, has seen a 400% increase in daily downloads since Donald Trump won the presidency.

“There has never been a single event that has resulted in this kind of sustained, day-over-day increase,” Moxie Marlinspike, the founder of Open Whisper Systems, the software nonprofit behind Signal, told BuzzFeed News. Marlinspike interpreted the jump as a reaction to Trump’s win, and anxiety over the future of US surveillance.

The secure communications tool is well-known in technologists, journalists, and political activists’ circles. It allows people to text and speak with one another using what’s known as end-to-end encryption, meaning only the sender and their intended recipient can read or hear the message.

“Trump is about to be put in control of the most pervasive, largest, and least accountable surveillance infrastructure in the world,” Marlinspike said. “People are maybe a little bit uncomfortable with him.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hamzashaban/after-trumps-win-secure-messaging-app-signals-downloads-incr?utm_term=.yf6XWEzK9#.wm0YpLNJE

2 replies, 678 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply RESIST (Original post)
HAB911 Dec 2016 OP
heaven05 Dec 2016 #1
NightWatcher Dec 2016 #2

Response to HAB911 (Original post)

Sat Dec 3, 2016, 10:06 AM

1. thanks

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HAB911 (Original post)

Sat Dec 3, 2016, 10:30 AM

2. This is what I've been saying.

We need to build and secure a Resistance infrastructure, so that we can communicate and spread information without being compromised.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread