HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Thank you President Obama...

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:24 PM

Thank you President Obama. Protest like your lives depended on it because they do.

Asked about the protests against Donald Trump, President Obama offered up blunt advice to Trump and encouraging support for protesters.

"I've been the subject of protests during the course of my eight years. And I suspect that there's not a president in our history that hasn't been subject to these protests. So, I would not advise people who feel strongly or who are concerned about some of the issues that have been raised during the course of the campaign, I wouldn't advise them to be silent."

Donít be silent. Donít be still. Get out, march and make your feelings about Donald Trump and the white nationalist agenda clear. While youíre at it, build connections, band together, bond over issues, form alliances and make plans.

Dail Kos Link

9 replies, 1143 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thank you President Obama. Protest like your lives depended on it because they do. (Original post)
phallon Nov 2016 OP
Sunlei Nov 2016 #1
Baitball Blogger Nov 2016 #2
WhiteTara Nov 2016 #3
phallon Nov 2016 #4
herding cats Nov 2016 #8
Baitball Blogger Nov 2016 #9
Auggie Nov 2016 #5
Lifelong Protester Nov 2016 #6
Auggie Nov 2016 #7

Response to phallon (Original post)

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:44 PM

1. All this week Obama has given some great pressers. The Republican is Unfit & dangerous.

Republicans can take their "best man" and shove him where the sun doesn't shine.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:48 PM

2. Is there a link for that quote?

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:53 PM

3. There's a blue link at the left bottom

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 08:53 PM

4. Right under quote. I'll make it clearer

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 18, 2016, 01:23 PM

8. Here it is in it's full context.

It's even more kick ass in full context.

Chancellor Merkel, I'd like to ask you, Bashar al-Assad has described Donald Trump as a natural ally. Your own Foreign Minister has described Donald Trump as a preacher of hate. I'm wondering, would you tell Americans that they now have a perception problem?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: One of the great things about our democracy is it expresses itself in all sorts of ways, and that includes people protesting. I've been the subject of protests during the course of my eight years, and I suspect that there's not a President in our history that, at some point, hasn't been subject to these protests. So I would not advise people who feel strongly or are concerned about some of the issues that have been raised during the course of the campaign -- I wouldn't advise them to be silent.

What I would advise -- what I advised before the election and what I will continue to advise after the election -- is that elections matter, voting matters, organizing matters, being informed on the issues matter. And what I consistently say to young people -- I say it in the United States, but I'll say it here in Germany and across Europe -- do not take for granted our systems of government and our way of life.

I think there is a tendency -- because we have lived in an era that has been largely stable and peaceful, at least in advanced countries, where living standards have generally gone up -- there is a tendency I think to assume that that's always the case. And it's not. Democracy is hard work.

More: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/11/17/remarks-president-obama-and-chancellor-merkel-germany-joint-press

Reply to this post

Response to herding cats (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 18, 2016, 03:34 PM

9. Thank you.

I may have need to use this elsewhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 17, 2016, 10:30 PM

5. We need new blood to start leading the party too

Talk and protest isn't enough. Let's make a graphic statement by electing some new, fresh faces to lead Democrats.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 18, 2016, 12:59 PM

6. We can do both.

Protest and elect fresh faces!

Reply to this post

Response to Lifelong Protester (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 18, 2016, 01:16 PM

7. Okay!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread