HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » It's Called WORKING THE R...

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:03 PM

It's Called WORKING THE REF, And It Sometimes Works Pretty Well.

Any sports fan, or parent with a kid in Little League recognizes the technique of working the ref. Every time the referee makes a call against your team, the coach (or some obnoxious parent) runs out and screams at them. After awhile, the referee will subconsciously lighten up on your team because he gets tired of being yelled at and insulted.

Well, that's exactly what the House Republicans succeeded in doing to Comey. They wanted him to indict Clinton, and when he didn't they went after the FBI itself. The intent was to EMBARRASS the FBI, by questioning their methods, second guessing their conclusions, suggesting they're crooked, issuing subpoenas on their actual interview notes, so they can make them look stupid.

The message is clear: If we send you to investigate our political opponent, and you don't indict them, WE'LL COME AFTER YOU INSTEAD! We'll make you and your agency look stupid and incompetent until you do exactly what we want.

Well, they succeeded. They got Comey so rattled that he felt 'compelled' (his words) to send the House Committees this letter before he even knew anything. And BINGO< they've got their phoney scandal, 10 days before the election. I don't think they ever anticipated the technique would work this well, but they're not complaining.

They found Huma Abedin's emails on a computer that they gained access to as part of a separate investigation. Normally they'd have to ask for a warrant (and thus show probable cause) to look at Abedin's emails. At this point they have no reason to believe that those emails are any different than the ones they've already seen. So, I'm guessing Comey was so nervous that he sent this letter before he'd even asked for a warrant.

Congratulations, GOP. You've still got the old magic when it comes to the Clinton scandal machine.

Look at Gowdy in this clip, and tell me if it isn't a classic case of working the ref. Embarrassing and insulting the FBI because they didn't come to the conclusion he WANTED them to come to.

11 replies, 1782 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply It's Called WORKING THE REF, And It Sometimes Works Pretty Well. (Original post)
TrollBuster9090 Oct 2016 OP
Jim Beard Oct 2016 #1
Wounded Bear Oct 2016 #2
TrollBuster9090 Oct 2016 #3
apcalc Oct 2016 #4
TrollBuster9090 Oct 2016 #7
AmericanActivist Oct 2016 #5
Jim Beard Oct 2016 #6
jaysunb Oct 2016 #8
JonLP24 Oct 2016 #9
ProudProgressiveNow Oct 2016 #10
milestogo Oct 2016 #11

Response to TrollBuster9090 (Original post)

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:05 PM

1. And he has another 7 years employment that can not be changed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jim Beard (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:12 PM

2. It can be changed...

but, of course, if Pres Clinton fires him, it'll be worked by the Repubs as a political stunt and the media will back them up because "story."

Reply to this post

Response to Jim Beard (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:13 PM

3. True, but if Democrats retake the Senate there's something they can do.

If Democrats retake the Senate there is at least something they can do to prevent Clinton's first four years from being nothing but one investigation after another. Working the ref is only successful when ONE team does it. If both teams work the ref, he/she gets pushed back into the middle again. First thing a Democratic Senate should do in February 2017 is open up an investigation into WHY he sent this letter when he did.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:16 PM

4. Ok it's up to Dems to work that SOB over now.

Reply to this post

Response to apcalc (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:28 PM

7. It would be nice if Lynch at least ordered him to release more information, and

and hold a press conference. If he whines that it's not FBI policy to comment on ongoing investigations, we can all shout out a collective "NO SHIT, EINSTEIN!"

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:21 PM

5. Interesting perspective, seems fitting. nm

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 10:23 PM

6. I never have been much of a TeeShirt wearer but I think I wouls wear a "Screw the FBI"

black shirt with yellow lettering like in all the movies and TV shows.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:12 PM

8. You're somewhat correct about "working the ref" but this is

more like working the cops.
As with all law enforcement, ( in this case the FBI ) the investigators must present their findings to the DA or Top prosecutor. That's where indictments are generated, so, Comey never had the power to bring a charge....only recommend it. If the prosecutor feels they can win the case, charges will be offered up. Remember, Comey stated back in July, " no reasonable prosecutor would have accepted the case on the findings available." He could've let his boss ( the AG ) make the announcement. Had he done his job at that time, he would forcefully told anyone asking--especially Congress, that, there was nothing there. His personal--and very unprofessional-- additional statement accusing HRC of carelessness should have drawn the type of rebuke we're now seeing and he wouldn't have gotten worked to the point he may have probably have to give up his job and much of his future earnings.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:25 PM

9. I have some stories I could tell from when I refed

Intramural basketball. Mostly 14 years and younger and the treatment from parents was rough, especially from one parent. A different ref had a more difficult time than I did who was by far my most difficult parent. I have a lot of sympathy for refs at high levels considering how abusive fans are even at the lowest levels.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:45 PM

10. They did the same thing to the media. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:56 PM

11. The most impressive coaches are the ones who get their team

to make the fewest penalties. Sometimes that means being really familiar with the rules, but mostly its about athletes controlling their behavior. Its a winning strategy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread