HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Who here has been purged ...

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:34 AM

Who here has been purged from voter rolls? Me twice. Once without enough notice to respond.

Last edited Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:49 PM - Edit history (1)

Curious how many here. I was so dumbfounded, I went home. Called the registrar without finding any help.

14 replies, 2997 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to WingDinger (Original post)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:47 AM

1. That's why every state should have same-day registration

There would still be problems if the voter hasn't brought a document required to reregister, but at least the voter has a chance to participate in that election. I still can't figure out why Walker and his crew left same-day registration intact in Wisconsin while they tried to require photo ID.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dragonlady (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:51 AM

2. i thought you could always fill out a "provisional ballot"

which in theory would be counted if your status as an eligible voter was later confirmed.

the margin of victory among the more easily counted ballots is almost always greater than the number of provisional ballots collected, so in practice they almost never bother, but still....

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 10:54 AM

3. That was not offered either by the poll, or registrar. I thought I had done something wrong, and fel

felt ashamed.

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:17 PM

5. All votes should be counted

I've never understood why some people say absentee ballots are not counted if the margin of the election is more than could be made up by absentees. All ballots are equal and all should be counted in order to accurately reflect the sense of the electorate at that moment. In Wisconsin all absentee ballots are counted, either during slow times during the day or after closing, and in Milwaukee at a separate facility that counts all absentee ballots from the city.

Reply to this post

Response to dragonlady (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:34 PM

8. Then by all means, abolish teh electoral college.

Popular vote, would end my plight. California. We are over the top dem, usually, so any EXTRA efforts here are nullified. And tiny states have UNDUE influence on politics. Out of all rational proportion.

Reply to this post

Response to WingDinger (Reply #8)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 09:59 AM

11. that's a different question. at least the votes are counted.

and everyone gets to see that large margin of victory for democrats in california or for republicans in wyoming or whatever.

the extra votes are not "nullified" any more than your vote would be "nullified" in a popular vote election where everyone else decides 60-40 one way or the other. just because your vote wasn't the deciding vote doesn't mean it was "nullified". it gets counted and adds to the margin of victory.

i agree that the electoral college system has its drawbacks, though it also has its advantages. in particular, fraud is usually centered around states that are evenly split, rather than hard-core partisan. obviously, there have been problems in florida and ohio, but just imagine how much fraud there would be in texas if we went to a straight popular vote. idaho would start insisting that they had more republican votes than people!

Reply to this post

Response to dragonlady (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 09:52 AM

10. i agree they should all be counted. not all jurisdictions bother, but they certainly should.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 11:20 AM

4. I was purged once

but got it straightened out. Four years ago in September of '08 I put together on the internet what was called "National Guarantee Your Vote Day" and it asked two things from participants 1.) to call, go online or go to your auditors office and check and see if your registration is still active and
2) to email, forward, announce and send to everyone with in your blog, group or mailing lists.

We had 5.6 emails take place that day. I might do it again!

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:27 PM

6. Not me. You can check online to be sure.

http://www.canivote.org/

It'll tell you if you're an active voter & where you're registered.

Reply to this post

Response to yewberry (Reply #6)

Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:31 PM

7. You can be damn sure I learned that after not being able to vote, against Bush Jr. That follows me.

The first time Jr won.

Reply to this post

Response to yewberry (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 10:07 AM

12. Excellent link.

Perhaps it deserves it's own thread.

Reply to this post

Response to 99Forever (Reply #12)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:54 PM

14. Hadn't thought of that.