HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Katie Ledecky Smashes Wor...

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 08:46 PM

Katie Ledecky Smashes World Record in the 800-Meter Freestyle

In 1968, a teenager in North Dakota watched transfixed as Debbie Meyer won the 200, 400 and 800-meter freestyles at the Mexico City Olympics. The next time the teenager, already a competitive swimmer, got in the pool, she cut through the water repeating to herself, “I am Debbie Meyer.”

The teenager would grow up to become the mother of Katie Ledecky, who on Friday night became the first Olympian since Meyer to win the 200, 400 and 800. Ledecky completed the trifecta with a flourish, breaking her world record in the 800 with a clocking of 8 minutes 04.79 seconds.

Her split time of 4:01.98 would have won the bronze medal in the women’s 400 final on Sunday.

Ledecky’s final margin of victory was 11.38 seconds over Britain’s Jazz Carlin, who clocked a 8:16.17, two-tenths of a second better than Hungary’s Boglarka Kapas.

9 replies, 1003 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Katie Ledecky Smashes World Record in the 800-Meter Freestyle (Original post)
Mira Aug 2016 OP
charlyvi Aug 2016 #1
mcar Aug 2016 #2
6chars Aug 2016 #3
Mira Aug 2016 #4
madamesilverspurs Aug 2016 #5
Mira Aug 2016 #8
greymattermom Aug 2016 #6
Mira Aug 2016 #9
mrmpa Aug 2016 #7

Response to Mira (Original post)

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 08:51 PM

1. DAMN!

She took off at the start and no one even caught her wake! It seemed impossible, but she did it and was barely huffing as she waited for the rest of the field to touch the wall!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 08:54 PM

2. She is amazing

What total control!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 09:32 PM

3. Would have set men's record in 1976

Reply to this post

Response to 6chars (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 09:42 PM

4. I must admit, and am not proud of it,

that I never much gave too much thought to the difference in inherent basic strength between men and women. There were times when I really could not do something and had to have help, and I of course knew I would have to guard against being overwhelmed by it in case of attempted rape which, Gracias a Dios, I never had to deal with, along with about 75 percent of other women. (What a sad number)

BUT
then came the bicycle races. My town was chosen for international races and trials, and roads were closed and cops kept watch and the men and women and their expensive gear and outfits came to town and lo and behold the race went by my house.
THAT
is when I first became overwhelmed with the realization of that difference in strength. The woman were dynamos and as they passed (it goes downhill at my house) it was not to be believed how they moved the air and themselves. But the men, you could barely see them they were that much faster and stronger.

So - your comment is a really good one.
Go Katie - I'm so proud!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 10:16 PM

5. After she touched the wall

and was waiting for the other swimmers to finish, so much time elapsed that I was thinking she should get the silver and bronze in addition to the gold. Amazing!

P.S. -- Hi, Mira!

Reply to this post

Response to madamesilverspurs (Reply #5)

Sat Aug 13, 2016, 12:16 AM

8. Wonderful!

And Hi to you, madamesilverspurs. I stay inspired and jerked by my bootstraps by the work you do on this board.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 10:23 PM

6. I'm a slow swimmer but she has inspired me

and I plan to swim a mile on my 70th birthday. This Sunday! Let her inspire all of us.

Reply to this post

Response to greymattermom (Reply #6)

Sat Aug 13, 2016, 12:22 AM

9. WOW

How much is a mile?
I have the local Y so close to my house that driving or biking take the same amount of time. (It's downhill, and I am not able to bike back up, so I drive)
I have what I think is a big pool, I think they call it Olympic size. On good days I swim 24 lengths, three times a week. Often less. But it's better than not swimming at all. I was seventy two years ago - if you make that mile - (and tell me how much that is) - realize the consistency of effort is a great thing after that birthday, may it be happy and contain a one mile swim.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 12, 2016, 11:47 PM

7. My 86 year old mom & I watched that race............

Mom, kept saying "where's the rest of the swimmers"........Neither of us could believe it, she had a 25 meter lead when the others were just touching the wall. It was unbelievably a beautiful sight to behold.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread