HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gun Control Effort in Con...

Sat Jun 25, 2016, 10:07 AM

Gun Control Effort in Congress Isnít Dead, but Prospects Arenít Good

WASHINGTON ó Senator Angus King, independent of Maine, was crowing a bit on the chamber floor Thursday when he began reading a staff memberís email about a planning and development meeting the previous night in the town of Sanford, Me.

ďEvery single person I spoke with either wanted me to convey their thanks to Senator King for his stand on Ďdoing something on gun controlí to asking me that he stand firm and do more. People who own guns (and said so) and those who donít. Every single person expressed dismay that Congress has not acted on this.Ē

Within hours, however, the Senate had again voted not to act ó effectively condemning to legislative purgatory a measure that Mr. King had praised as providing just the sort of common-sense legislation his constituents were demanding after mass shootings like the one this month in Orlando, Fla.

The bipartisan proposal written by Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, was aimed at stopping terrorist suspects on the governmentís no-fly list from buying guns. It survived a motion to table that would have killed the measure outright, but fell short of the 60 votes needed to advance it. The vote was 52 to 46.

Remainder of article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/us/politics/susan-collins-gun-control-sit-in.html

3 replies, 534 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gun Control Effort in Congress Isnít Dead, but Prospects Arenít Good (Original post)
Just reading posts Jun 2016 OP
Post removed Jun 2016 #1
Just reading posts Jun 2016 #2
Duckhunter935 Jun 2016 #3

Response to Just reading posts (Original post)

Response to Post removed (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 25, 2016, 10:16 AM

2. Translation:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Just reading posts (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 25, 2016, 10:21 AM

3. Indeed so

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread