HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Annoying music plays in C...

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:16 AM

Annoying music plays in Colorado bathroom to keep homeless out

Annoying music plays in Colorado bathroom to keep homeless out

By KKCO | Posted: Fri 3:54 PM, Jun 10, 2016

(KKCO) For a lot of people out there, the thought of using a public restroom is tough enough. So imagine walking into a restroom and hearing music right out of an episode of "Barney & Friends?".

Two weeks ago, Grand Junction, Colorado began piping kids songs through the vents in public restrooms to keep troublesome folks out, and let those who really need it, do their duty.

"Over the years we've had vandalism or people staying inside the restrooms to get out of the weather," said Rob Schoeber, Director Grand Junction Parks & Recreation.

But not everyone is happy. Advocates for the homeless describe the program as part of a "civil war" targeting the homeless.

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Annoying-music-plays-in-Colorado-bathroom-to-keep-homeless-out-382512671.html

But songs like "Skip to my Lou" and "If You're Happy and You Know It" aren't meant to give you added irritation while having to go. Instead the goal is to make the bathrooms an obnoxious place for those using them for other purposes.

"Over the years we've had vandalism or people staying inside the restrooms to get out of the weather," said Rob Schoeber, Director Grand Junction Parks & Recreation.

Two weeks ago, the city began piping kids songs through the vents to keep troublesome folks out, and let those who really need it, do their duty.

The idea follows a law enforcement model called CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)," Schoeber said. "The music was picked by our staff, they came up with it to make it less inducive for people to sleep in there."

http://www.nbc11news.com/content/news/The-sound-of-music-coming-from-a-GJ-restroom-has-a-creative-purpose-382443121.html

10 replies, 1171 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Annoying music plays in Colorado bathroom to keep homeless out (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Jun 2016 OP
yeoman6987 Jun 2016 #1
Scootaloo Jun 2016 #2
yeoman6987 Jun 2016 #3
Scootaloo Jun 2016 #4
yeoman6987 Jun 2016 #5
Scootaloo Jun 2016 #6
Drahthaardogs Jun 2016 #7
romanic Jun 2016 #8
uncle ray Jun 2016 #9
hobbit709 Jun 2016 #10

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:22 AM

1. I always wonder why advocates for the homeless don't take in a few homeless to stay at their homes

If the supporters did this, we would have zero homeless and it might be a wonderful experience for both parties. I just thought of that. I have a neighbor who once a month goes to the Walgreen's in town and picks up a few. She feeds, gives showers and gives a bed to sleep for a weekend. They love it and they fight over who gets to go. It is a wonderful and selfless thing for her to do. She has NEVER worried about personal safety. Never needed to.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:26 AM

2. I always wonder why we have so many homeless

But you know, I guess we just have different priorities.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:31 AM

3. well my solution will work. Yours we've been doing for 50 years and failing

Priorities indeed.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #3)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:38 AM

4. You're trying to blame advocates for the homeless for homelessness.

That's kind of shitty of you.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:41 AM

5. Gosh. I never put someone on ignore but your too gone for me.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 12:44 AM

6. Oh no, anything but that.

Someone who wants to blame advocates for the homeless for the problem of homelessness is ignoring me. Woe is me.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #6)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 07:27 AM

7. I think the point is Park and Recreation facilities

are not homeless shelters, are not intended to be homeless shelters, and are not managed, funded, nor set up to be such a facility. Why are homeless advocates bashing the Park service? If their government office is anything like mine, they probably don't have enough funds to complete their own mission, let alone taking on extra priorities. Why castigate an agency for not doing something it really does not have the resources to do?

Reply to this post

Response to Drahthaardogs (Reply #7)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 07:29 AM

8. Good point.

Why castigate an agency for not doing something it really does not have the resources to do?

The Park service shouldn't be the ones spending money to house the homeless, it's not their purpose.

Reply to this post

Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #1)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 08:38 AM

9. how many are now NOT homeless because of her efforts?

the homeless don't need a weekend getaway from homelessness, they need long term housing, jobs, health care, and the help of trained professionals.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 08:46 AM

10. a straight pin through the speaker wires will cure that noise problem.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread