HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Since Texas Cut Planned P...

Fri Jun 10, 2016, 04:13 PM

 

Since Texas Cut Planned Parenthood’s HIV Program, Houston Hasn't Tested a Single Person

Since Texas Cut Planned Parenthood’s HIV Program, Houston Hasn't Tested a Single Person


Since Texas Cut Planned Parenthood’s HIV Program, Houston Hasn't Tested a Single Person


In a political gambit to prove that they love fetuses more than anything else in the whole world, Texas lawmakers have put their constituents at higher risk of an HIV outbreak. The Texas Observer reports that since the state ended its 28-year HIV-prevention contract with Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, which covers the Houston area, at the end of last year, one of the three counties that was supposed to take over the program hasn’t conducted a single HIV test.

PPGC used to get $600,000 per year from the Department of State Health Services to provide HIV testing, prevention education, and condoms to Texas residents. In the wake of last year’s attack on Planned Parenthood by video-camera–wielding anti-abortion activists who have now been indicted in Texas on felony charges, the state opted to let PPGC’s contract expire and divert those funds to three county health departments in Harris, Galveston, and Fort Bend counties.


Harris, which encompasses the city of Houston, got the bulk of the HIV-prevention funds: $250,000. In the five months since it took on the contract, it hasn’t done a single thing. Galveston and Fort Bend began testing patients in March and May, respectively. PPGC estimates that, in those five months, it would have already provided 2,900 HIV tests and given out 165,000 condoms. The former head of PPGC’s HIV-prevention initiative, who’d served in that role for 13 years, was laid off with her seven-person staff when the state ended its contract with Planned Parenthood at the end of last year.

This gap in essential public-health services, which anti–Planned Parenthood state officials promised would not occur in the handoff, is doubly shameful because Harris County has an HIV-diagnosis rate that’s almost twice as high as the Texas average. Nearly 23,000 HIV-positive people live in Harris County, where 25 percent of Texas’ new HIV diagnoses crop up, the Observer reports, and Planned Parenthood played an integral role in identifying new cases to help prevent transmission:


http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/06/10/since_texas_cut_planned_parenthood_s_hiv_program_houston_hasn_t_tested_a.html

5 replies, 630 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Since Texas Cut Planned Parenthood’s HIV Program, Houston Hasn't Tested a Single Person (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Jun 2016 OP
Bluenorthwest Jun 2016 #1
PJMcK Jun 2016 #2
yeoman6987 Jun 2016 #4
Bluenorthwest Jun 2016 #5
WhiteTara Jun 2016 #3

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Jun 10, 2016, 04:16 PM

1. They should pay attention to what happened in Indiana when they did this...

 

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 10, 2016, 04:28 PM

2. Heartbreaking and angering

The article says that the conservative Legislature wanted to stop abortions, representing only 3% of Planned Parenthoods medical services. "To sterilize that contagion, the remaining 97 percent of Planned Parenthood services would be expunged as necessary collateral damage. Private interest became public mandate."

That Legislature is disgusting. They don't care about the people of their state. After all, those people are poor.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 10, 2016, 05:45 PM

4. Probably going to their physician since ACA has been implemented

 

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to yeoman6987 (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 11, 2016, 07:48 AM

5. Read the article. That's very much not the case.

 

nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Jun 10, 2016, 04:33 PM

3. Expect a surge of new HIV cases

in Texas. Of course, no one will know about it, because there is no testing being done.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread