Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Oixi1993

(81 posts)
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 02:53 PM Apr 2016

Confused

I am new here and am going to ask an honest question. I have no intent on debating my goal is to listen. With all the major issues going on in our country why is this transgender bathroom issue such a big issue right now? The timing of this makes me wonder. I am truly confused as to how this became such a hot issue at this point in this election cycle.

15 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies

jehop61

(1,735 posts)
2. Lots
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:00 PM
Apr 2016

of these state officials who were elected two and four years ago are coming up for election in Nov. They are ginning up publicity for their base. Homophobia is always good for a good solid vote. Remember 2004 and the Republicans?

Webster Green

(13,905 posts)
3. It's just another shiny object...
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:01 PM
Apr 2016

...to keep folks distracted from having their "elections" rigged.

The $20 bill distraction is the same kind of thing.

LanternWaste

(37,748 posts)
10. Are you easily distracted by more than one story and project that failing onto others?
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:30 PM
Apr 2016

What specifically leads you to allege that? Are you easily distracted by more than one story and project that failing onto others or is there some objective, peer-reviewed evidence you failed to share with us which points to a distraction as the only plausible conclusion?

Whiskeytide

(4,474 posts)
15. To clarify my post...
Fri Apr 22, 2016, 08:46 AM
Apr 2016

It's not the bathroom issue that is a shiney object. It's the tactic of making it an issue that is the distraction.

Whiskeytide

(4,474 posts)
14. I don't think that's what ...
Fri Apr 22, 2016, 08:44 AM
Apr 2016

... WG meant. At least I didn't take it that way. The OP asked why are the bathrooms such an issue NOW. WG is correct. Republicans ARE attacking this Civil Rights issue for political gain in their base. That doesn't diminish the importance of the issue, it just explains why they are bringing it up in this cycle. In fact, it says more about the depravity of the republicans than anything else.

Edit. This was supposed to be a reply to post 7. On my phone and not competent to post from here. Sorry.

Maedhros

(10,007 posts)
5. Democrats are much, much more interested in pointing out Republican folly
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:04 PM
Apr 2016

than in addressing the deep problems in their own Party.

Igel

(35,705 posts)
8. The usual people get to be outraged at the usual people.
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:10 PM
Apr 2016

We like outrage at those we like to think of as enemies. It cements our belonging to one group.

My only comment so far to the entire debate is this: I'm fairly often in high school boys' bathrooms (I teach high school and am male, with a long hike to the nearest faculty men's bathroom). Phones are a commonplace there. Lots of phones, as boys text or look at themselves in their phones instead of the mirror. None take pictures because peer pressure would be pretty intense--"Why are you posting my dick on snapchat?"

Now make the bathrooms unisex, even with individual stalls instead of having urinals fairly well exposed. Put a girl on the toilet in the stall with 18" of empty space between the stall partition and the floor with a bunch of boys with phones outside. How long do you think anonymous pictures of girls' crotches with their faces not far behind show up on snapchat?

I doubt girls will frequent the boys bathrooms in a very short amount of time, after the symbolic victory has worn off and the symbolic value pales compared to the practical downside. I imagine more boys will frequent the girls' bathroom, however. The only hope is that when a boy tries to post to "snaptwat" girls will report him/her or otherwise interfere.

LanternWaste

(37,748 posts)
11. I don't think unisex bathrooms are relevant to any of the proposed bills in question.
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:34 PM
Apr 2016

I don't think unisex bathrooms are relevant to any of the proposed bills in question but rather, a question of which bathroom transgender students may use. I doubt males or females will take crotch shots of their fellow bathroom-users in that case any more or any less than is currently done in traditional gender bathrooms.

Brother Buzz

(36,740 posts)
9. The GOP loves a good wedge issue to rally their troops
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 03:10 PM
Apr 2016

and because they have been losing poorly on that Sanctity of Marriage shit, they needed to pony up a new and improved wedge issue.

Oixi1993

(81 posts)
12. Clear as a bell now
Thu Apr 21, 2016, 05:12 PM
Apr 2016

I just looked at a political forum that leans right and this issue is front and center. We seem to be living in some kind of alternate universe where big problems are not discussed and everyone goes nuts over this kind of stuff. It is kind of scary actually.

How has Sanders done it? How has he repeated himself for all these years warning about the real issues and see that this shit is what people focus on? Seriously!! I would be one frustrated SOB long before now. Yet he keeps going!!! I guess that should be an example to all of us.

ladyVet

(1,587 posts)
13. I'm not sure why you don't get that this isn't just about bathroom use.
Fri Apr 22, 2016, 08:15 AM
Apr 2016

The law also made it illegal for smaller government organizations to enact laws that meant to give legal protections. So, a city that didn't want to enforce bigotry can't do anything about it. The law handed down by McCrory is the law everywhere, for everyone.

Personally, I can multitask. It's not hard to fight this kind of shit on all fronts. I can focus on more than one issue, and so can Bernie. He understands exactly what's happened, because it's the sort of narrow anti-whatever crap he's been fighting all along.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Confused