HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Judge Orders Arrest Warra...

Thu Mar 31, 2016, 04:13 PM

Judge Orders Arrest Warrant for Ex-Congressman in Tax Case

Source: Associated Press

Judge Orders Arrest Warrant for Ex-Congressman in Tax Case

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CHICAGO Mar 31, 2016, 4:00 PM ET

A judge on Thursday ordered the arrest of former U.S. Rep. Mel Reynolds, who is facing federal tax charges but is refusing to return to Chicago from South Africa because he says he's caring for an ill daughter there.

U.S. District Judge John Darrah on Wednesday had denied a request from Reynolds who is free on bond to delay the start of the start of his May 2 trial so he could stay abroad longer. Darrah ordered an arrest warrant after Reynolds told the judge in an open letter Thursday that he wouldn't appear in court as ordered. He said he's staying in South Africa because his 23-year-old daughter has scoliosis and may also have cervical cancer.

The Illinois Democrat asked the judge "to show some compassion and understanding."

"Maybe another parent could walk away from their child now, but I can't, that is why I will not be in Chicago today," Reynolds, a Chicago Democrat, wrote. "I need to stay here with my daughter for the time being to help her through this extremely critical time in her young life."

[font size=1]-snip-[/font]

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-orders-arrest-warrant-congressman-tax-case-38063826

3 replies, 830 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge Orders Arrest Warrant for Ex-Congressman in Tax Case (Original post)
Eugene Mar 2016 OP
Jackie Wilson Said Mar 2016 #1
madinmaryland Mar 2016 #2
AngryAmish Mar 2016 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Thu Mar 31, 2016, 04:15 PM

1. There is far far more crime and corruption in the Republican party than the Democratic, but

we need to rid ourselves of any and all corrupt politicians.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Thu Mar 31, 2016, 06:11 PM

2. Regardless of the party he is in, he IS corrupt. He already has several convictions and

yet is or was in government. I feel sorry for the daughter, but her father is a screw up.

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 31, 2016, 06:51 PM

3. Did I win the lotto?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread