HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump 'used as taunt in U...

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:31 PM

Trump 'used as taunt in US colleges'

Trump 'used as taunt in US colleges'

Trend that started in US high schools is increasingly being reported on the country's university campuses, reports Josh Logue for Inside Higher Ed

Trump. It’s a name that’s evolved, in only the last few months, from referring only to a billionaire real estate magnate and reality TV star to the name of the leading Republican presidential candidate. And not just any candidate – a Republican front-runner who has no qualms about inviting the ire of women, black people, immigrants and Muslims.

Now, at several high schools around the US it appears that shouting “Trump” has evolved into a kind of taunt, used by largely white students at minority opponents during, say, basketball games.

Students at one school in Indiana held posters of the leading Republican presidential candidate and chanted, “Build a wall,” to which the heavily Hispanic rival school responded by chanting, “You’re a racist!” Several days earlier, in Iowa, a high school basketball team from a school that is half Hispanic faced chants of “Trump, Trump, Trump.”

Two recent incidents involving college students show that “Trump” as a taunt may not be a high school phenomenon.

Two Northwestern University students have been charged with vandalising a chapel on campus with spray paint, writing a swastika, slurs against black and gay people – and the word “Trump”. Days later, two students at Wichita State University – one Muslim and one Hispanic – were attacked at a gas station by a man who shouted, “Trump, Trump, Trump, we will make America great again. You losers will be thrown out of the wall.”

snip----------------------

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/trump-used-taunt-us-colleges

5 replies, 1508 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump 'used as taunt in US colleges' (Original post)
stone space Mar 2016 OP
napkinz Mar 2016 #1
Tommy_Carcetti Mar 2016 #2
cwydro Mar 2016 #3
Bluenorthwest Mar 2016 #5
C_U_L8R Mar 2016 #4

Response to stone space (Original post)

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:36 PM

1. all part of a pattern ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:40 PM

2. Why don't the "special snowflakes" get a thicker skin? Sheesh.

( -- duh)

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:43 PM

3. I find it very sad that people of college age still "taunt" others.

Smh.

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 02:05 PM

5. Yes obviously they should stop during college and take it up later when they join an internet

political community in midlife.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 01:54 PM

4. I'm so sick of this...

I think I'm gonna Trump.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread