HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why “Well-Meaning” White ...

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 04:14 PM

Why “Well-Meaning” White People Like WTAE-TV’s Wendy Bell, The White Privilege Turducken

Are The Worst

http://verysmartbrothas.com/why-well-meaning-white-people-like-wtae-tvs-wendy-bell-the-white-privilege-turducken-are-the-worst/

Wendy Bell is a lead anchor for WTAE-TV, Pittsburgh’s ABC affiliate. I’ve never met her in person before, but I know many people who have. And she’s generally regarded as a pleasant, kind, and professional woman.

And, like many otherwise pleasant, kind, and professional White people, Wendy Bell is utterly clueless about race, White privilege, and how her privilege contributes to her tone deaf myopia in regards to race. This was made clear earlier this week, when the anchor took to Facebook to share her thoughts about the massacre in Wilkinsburg.

Now, before I continue, I want to note that what I’m doing today isn’t coming from a place of outrage. I am more exhausted and sobered by this than angry or offended. I do not wish for Bell to be fired. Plus, if possessing White privilege and existing unaware of that possession was just cause for termination, the White unemployment rate would be 394%. America has a unique talent for mass producing Wendy Bells like they were sheet metals or hot dog buns. Instead, I’m just using her words to articulate how virulent (and damn annoying) this particular strain of back-pattingly well-meaning Whiteness can be....

Oh boy. This paragraph is so perfect — so emblematically, contextually, problematically, and specifically Privileged Ass White American — that I want to kiss it. I want to take it out for a nice seafood dinner and never call it again. I would drink this paragraph’s daddy’s bathwater. With a straw.

"white privilege turducken" FTW!

9 replies, 2582 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why “Well-Meaning” White People Like WTAE-TV’s Wendy Bell, The White Privilege Turducken (Original post)
KamaAina Mar 2016 OP
MisterP Mar 2016 #1
KamaAina Mar 2016 #2
MisterP Mar 2016 #3
gollygee Mar 2016 #9
LuvLoogie Mar 2016 #4
Prism Mar 2016 #5
laundry_queen Mar 2016 #6
Blue_Tires Mar 2016 #7
gollygee Mar 2016 #8

Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 04:20 PM

1. well-meaning, eh?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MisterP (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 04:21 PM

2. New Yorkers often say 'S/he means well."

Similar to the Southern classic 'Well, bless your li'l ol' heart!".

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 04:32 PM

3. or "that's one bed you can't unsoil"

Reply to this post

Response to MisterP (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 09:11 AM

9. When she was writing that Facebook post

She thought she was being a nice kind person, doing a good deed. She meant well. And yeah the term "well meaning" kind of assumes it wasn't actually good. Like you meant well but failed.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:46 PM

4. Thank you for posting. I'm glad I read that. Very enlightening

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:58 PM

5. This is some amazing cringe right here

How does anyone, and a news anchor to boot, wander through life that utterly, utterly clueless?

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:59 PM

6. Good article

the comments were excellent as well. Had me

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 25, 2016, 09:06 AM

8. That is a beautifully written rant. ROFL.

I'll have to read that again later.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread