HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What are the benefits ear...

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 10:46 AM

What are the benefits earned by non-commissioned officers?

Last edited Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:53 AM - Edit history (1)

I recently friended someone who turns out to be a very vocal right-winger. Among many of the inappropriate posts he "liked" was an opinion letter that put down fast-food workers for wanting a $15 dollar minimum work wage. These workers were trashed for wanting a living wage for a job that was "meant for teenagers" and it used the term "LaTisha McBurger Flipper." Apparently, this was an indignant response to the fact that non-commissioned officers get about $18.00 an hour.

Does anyone else get bothered by the way these kind of racist sentiments are spreading among our military people? I don't begrudge the pensions, medical care and any other benefit that we give to our soldiers. I would support paying higher taxes to give them more (especially the non-commissioned soldiers), but when I read the way these comments spread through social media I wonder if they understand what they are fighting for.

13 replies, 1982 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply What are the benefits earned by non-commissioned officers? (Original post)
Baitball Blogger Mar 2016 OP
ipfilter Mar 2016 #1
Baitball Blogger Mar 2016 #2
LiberalFighter Mar 2016 #9
Orsino Mar 2016 #3
malthaussen Mar 2016 #4
Baitball Blogger Mar 2016 #5
maxrandb Mar 2016 #6
Baitball Blogger Mar 2016 #7
ipfilter Mar 2016 #8
LiberalFighter Mar 2016 #10
maxrandb Mar 2016 #11
noamnety Mar 2016 #12
ipfilter Mar 2016 #13

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:13 AM

1. I saw that same thing on FB this morning

Former Navy here. I saw that post this morning on FB and it pissed me off. As an enlisted member of the military, NCO or not, all the basic needs of survival are provided; food, clothing, shelter. In addition to those, military members also receive all their health care, can receive a generous allowance for housing if living off base, another allowance for food if living off base, extra pay for spouses, and all moving expenses paid. Nobody is going to get rich as an NCO but with all the allowances for basic needs, one can live a comfortable life without worrying about health care. Once gives up a great deal of personal freedom by enlisting in the military and all these benefits help to offset the personal sacrifice one makes when volunteering for service.

By no means should enlisted base pay be compared to the struggles one faces when making minimum wage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ipfilter (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:18 AM

2. I don't know why we aren't hearing more about how our military men and women are being used

to push racist, conservative sentiments. I've seen this before. Because we have been trained not to criticize our military people, their status as a sacred cow is being used as a shield to do all sorts of inappropriate activity, which is unAmerican.

Thank you for your comments. It just shows we have an issue that needs to be addressed.

Reply to this post

Response to ipfilter (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 01:09 PM

9. Thank you for your response.

It is more helpful to get it from those that have served. I did a response to someone elses post on Facebook about this very same thing. Not knowing first hand I relied on info from official military websites that provided pay and other benefit info.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:20 AM

3. They are just trying to hold troops hostage.

Troops who tend to be on food stamps.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:47 AM

4. Benefits are not "bestowed," they are earned.

Your point is well-taken, your phraseology unfortunate. Especially unfortunate, because they imply that benefits -- in all jobs -- are something separate from pay, that they are some kind of "free thing" that is not included in the total compensation package. This has implications far beyond the military, as the first thing union-busters go after is the benefits, always with the attitude that they are something the employer is granting out of the goodness of his heart. And it echoes the concept of "entitlements," especially of social security and Medicare, which are earned benefits that the worker pays into over the course of his working life, and not something the government hands out like a gold star for being a good citizen. It is very important, when asking questions of this sort, to exercise care in your word choice. Changing "bestowed" to "earned" would be a good idea.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 11:53 AM

5. Point well taken.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 12:39 PM

6. Saw that same crap on Facebook yesterday

and as a 30 year retired Navy "Mustang" Officer, it offends me.

It's a perfect example of what's wrong with our country and our political discourse.

Instead of denigrating the folks that are serving us our Burgers and Fries everyday for trying to get a wage that puts them barely below the poverty level, and comparing them to the military, we ought to be asking "why the 'eff' is the military paid so little, while 98% of the GPD increases over the past 30 years have gone to the top 0.0001% of American" (about 13,000 total families).

The saddest part about these "Dr. Seuss Pop-Up Book simplistic Right Wing Talking Points" is that they get forwarded by a guy working at Walmart for $14 an hour. BTW-in 1981 I worked at a grocery store full time and was making $12.60 and hour, time-and-a-half for overtime, and double-time on Sundays and Holidays. In 30 years, the wages for that job have just about stayed the same.

We can thank St. Ronnie Ray-Gun and the trickle-down bullshit the corporate whores have fed us for 30 years.

I can't count the number of $15-25 and hour Middle Class asshats that I've talked to, or heard call into wingnut radio over the past 30 years that are "convinced" that the only reason they haven't achieved the American Dream is because of "their tax money" going to underserving people, or because the guy making $7.25 and hour wants a 2 buck an hour raise.

In the meantime, you've got the "effing" CEO of Papa John's complaining that providing basic healthcare for his employees will add $0.23 to the cost of a large pizza...from his 16,000 square foot mansion, complete with a moat!!!!

In a way, I guess he's smart. A moat is probably a pretty good idea for an asshat like that.

and in answer to your question, there are several benefits earned by NCO's. Among them are:

- Basic Allowance for Quarter (non-taxable)
- Basic Allowance for Subsistence (non-taxable)
- Medical and Dental benefits, including for family members
- Family Separation Allowance (paid while deployed away from immediate family)
- Career Sea Pay if in the Navy and on Sea Duty
- Hazardous Duty Pay (ex: If on the Flight Deck of an Aircraft Carrier)
- Tax Free Zone (all pay earned in designated areas is "tax free" (Iraq, Afghanistan, etc)
- 36 Months of Montgomery GI Bill benefits, plus Housing Allowance to go to college, this can also be transferred to dependents (spouse/children) if the veteran doesn't use it. (In some cases, this works out to being "paid" to go to college)

I almost got out of the Navy when I was an E5, but we looked at the Medical and Dental benefits and I would have had to make 3X what I was making in the military to afford it.

So, yeah, it can be a tough job, and in most cases the pay can be very low compared to the private sector, but the allowances and benefits are there to make the compensation more equitable.

Instead of asking why we don't pay the military enough, we should be asking why these types of benefits aren't more common in the private sector.

And don't get me started on Government Civil Servants that vote Republican. That's almost like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders.

I feel as if I'm living in Bizzarro World at times.

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 12:43 PM

7. Thank you for your response.

It is going to take people like you to form the counter-response because they won't listen to anybody else.

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 12:55 PM

8. I work with GS types

everyday and most of them are rabid right wingers. They seem to suffer from a stunning lack of self awareness. There's nothing more irritating than listing to a GS-12 complain about taxes and redistribution of wealth, and all the other typical right wing nonsense, while working for the federal government and being payed with tax dollars. The irony is lost on them.

Reply to this post

Response to ipfilter (Reply #8)

Mon Mar 7, 2016, 01:32 PM

10. Need to develop rebuttals against their complaints.

Start out with...

You should take a pay cut so taxes are lower for the taxpayers.

Better yet, volunteer to have your job eliminated. That will reduce taxes for everyone while reducing your own taxes down to zero.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 10, 2016, 12:25 PM

11. Just imagine how much more secure the Middle Class and our country would be

If just about every employee had the same type of pension and benefits package that a GS employee gets.

They are actually in jobs that can secure you a pretty solid place in the Middle Class, and those types of benefits and pension packages used to be the norm in our country before St. Ronnie Ray-Gun told us all we needed to do was give massive tax-cuts to the wealthy and "tweak" Labor Rights and our shit would look like Rainbow Sherbet and smell like Unicorn Farts.

And you know what...none of it is ever going to change until St. Ronnie is dragged off his fucking pedestal.

You'd think that if we had a functioning press, someone would be able to look at the economic devastation and "never seen before" wealth inequality that just so happened to start and be sustained around 1980...and put two and two together.

I have absolutely no problem with Americans being angry, but every single one of their plights, from stagnating wages, to the rape of their pensions, to their health care costs, to their kids getting blown to shit in countries they couldn't fucking find on map, belong at the feet of the Republican Party...and yet...they keep electing the asshats to power.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 10, 2016, 01:09 PM

12. There are more GS democrats than republicans.

I'm not denying your reality, but it may be localized.

"In a recent survey conducted by Government Business Council, the research arm of Government Executive Media Group, 44 percent of respondents identified as Democrats or Democratic-leaning independents, while 40 percent identified as Republicans or Republican-leaning independents. The remaining respondents were undecided or did not identify with either party, though a plurality of them said they were “conservatives.”

(It might be a fairly even split with independents who lean one way or another.)

http://www.govexec.com/oversight/2015/08/there-are-more-republicans-federal-government-you-might-think/119138/

Reply to this post

Response to noamnety (Reply #12)

Thu Mar 10, 2016, 04:24 PM

13. I live in Red Oklahoma

so I think that speaks for itself.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread