HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Something the media is mi...

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 03:39 AM

Something the media is missing in the Trump SC win

I just saw an infographic of reasons people supported Trump.The biggest group was those who felt Trump "tells it like it is."

Think about that for a moment: Trump loudly proclaimed that GW Bush DID NOT KEEP US SAFE in the debates. IIRC he pointed out to Jeb that the towers fell on Dubya's watch. The Bush safety canard has been GOP holy writ for yers. Trump has seemingly destroyed the myth.

6 replies, 1510 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Something the media is missing in the Trump SC win (Original post)
Algernon Moncrieff Feb 2016 OP
raccoon Feb 2016 #1
melman Feb 2016 #2
Tommy_Carcetti Feb 2016 #3
Kittycat Feb 2016 #4
craigmatic Feb 2016 #5
RichGirl Feb 2016 #6

Response to Algernon Moncrieff (Original post)

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 07:14 AM

1. Well, for once ITA with Trump. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 08:07 AM

2. I think time destroyed the myth

W is a long time ago now and people don't really give a shit about him.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 08:49 AM

3. It's a blind squirrel meets nut moment for Trump. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Trump's "strategy"--for lack of a better word--is just a scattershot roast of his opponents and whatever he sees as their greatest flaws, mixed in with a good deal of proto-facism and nativism.

Jeb's flaw was quite glaring--his last name. So Trump went to town on that. Doesn't mean he believed what he was saying--hell, you can easily see that he actually supported the Iraq War when it started, but all of Bush's blunders in foreign policy were fair game.

But honestly, I don't think Jeb's last name, and the blunders of his brother's administration, were what drove South Carolinians to the polls for Trump. What did that was a lot more simpler: Trump's a narcissistic, bombastic con man with very little substance but who drives on attention, and his supporters are gullible dupes looking for a strongman. Plain and simple.

Jeb, Gwb, and the Bush family's foreign policy history had very little to do with yesterday's turnout. Most people were already expect Jeb to bow out after the SC vote. It's not like he was ever a front rival to Trump or had won any previous primaries.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 08:57 AM

4. And Bush withdrew

The irony in all of that.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 09:34 AM

5. The reason trump won sc is because sc has always been a backwards racist state going back

to the days of nullification, states rights, and secession. trump was a good fit for them and he'll win in the rest of the south too. They voted for him because he hates blacks, mexicans, and arabs.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 21, 2016, 09:53 AM

6. KEEP IN MIND...

Trump only got 30% of the vote...which means 70% DIDN'T vote for him. With Trump, you either love him or hate him.

I would bet that if there were just two of them running, he'd lose. Please god don't let it be Cruz!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread