HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Judge Took Bribes 28 Year...

Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:04 PM

Judge Took Bribes 28 Years - People Who Paid Bribes No Prosecution - Really?

I searched to see if anyone that paid bribes to Judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. has been prosecuted. I can't find anyone.

It seems paying the bribes to judges is legal in Amerika.

I didn't know that.

http://trofire.com/2015/09/01/pa-judge-who-sold-juveniles-to-jails-gets-28-years-in-prison/

6 replies, 1437 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge Took Bribes 28 Years - People Who Paid Bribes No Prosecution - Really? (Original post)
Yallow Dec 2015 OP
Yallow Dec 2015 #1
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2015 #2
SoLeftIAmRight Dec 2015 #3
tammywammy Dec 2015 #4
Bluenorthwest Dec 2015 #6
Bluenorthwest Dec 2015 #5

Response to Yallow (Original post)

Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:14 PM

1. DU Story - Comments

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:03 PM

2. Three other guys got jail sentences related to "cash for kids". I think they plead guilty, took a de

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:26 AM

3. very nice observation

makes one wonder

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:47 AM

4. Here:

Robert Powell, an attorney and co-owner of the two juvenile facilities at the heart of the scandal, pleaded guilty on July 1, 2009, to failing to report a felony and being an accessory to tax evasion conspiracy, in connection with $770,000 in kickbacks he paid to Ciavarella and Conahan in exchange for facilitating the development of his juvenile detention centers.[5][29][30] The Pennsylvania Supreme Court temporarily suspended Powell’s law license on September 1, citing his criminal conviction.[31]

Robert Mericle, the prominent real estate developer who built the two juvenile facilities, pleaded guilty on September 3, 2009, to failing to disclose a felony. Mericle had failed to tell a grand jury he had paid $2.1 million to Ciavarella and Conahan as a finder's fee. As part of his plea, Mericle agreed to pay $2.15 million to fund local children's health and welfare programs. Mericle faced up to three years in prison and a $250,000 maximum fine.[29][32][33] On April 25, 2014 Robert Mericle was sentenced to serve one year in Federal Prison.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Reply to this post

Response to tammywammy (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 31, 2015, 10:16 AM

6. Powell did 18 months and is paying millions... an update is at this link

Final Class-Action Settlement Pending in “Kids for Cash” Scandal

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2015/jul/31/final-class-action-settlement-pending-kids-cash-scandal/

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 31, 2015, 10:12 AM

5. Two judges, the other got 17 years. At least 3 others were prosecuted as well.

One of the key bribe makers went to prison and also paid millions. Aside from the criminal prosecutions there is a large class action, at least 25 Million including 4.75 million from Powell, maker of bribes. Powell might be paying more, this is the month in which his income will be reviewed for adjustment of the amount. December 2105.
The bank that processed the money was fined as well for not noticing the 'red flags' and thus not reporting them. That fine was 1.5 million.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread