HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » News Networks Are Dancing...

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 10:17 AM

News Networks Are Dancing to Trumpís Tune

Note, when I wrote this I didn't know I was channeling Bernie Sanders who said almost the same thing on CNN a few minutes ago. I was reminded watching him that he and Trump have similar poll numbers - Bernie's are actually somewhat better - but it is Trump who gets all of the media attention.

Everyday I wake up to a new Donald Trump story on CNN. I understand it is the same on all of the other cable news networks as well. CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and the like are driven by ratings and people are fascinated with the bazaar and unusual. So I guess it isnít unexpected that these networks are driven like rats to the Pied Piperís tune to report on whatever absurd, outlandish or vile remarks to which Trump has recently given voice. Meanwhile other far more serious candidates are often neglected, unless of course they have been bashing Trump.

There is a reason why Trump, a multi-billionaire, is spending very little of his own money on his self financed campaign. This is no accident; Trump is craftily manipulating the news networks into giving him hundreds of minutes of free publicity. He is found the sweet spot for spreading his campaigns message Ė his outlandish remarks resonate with his core supporters and at the same time are almost impossible for the news networks to ignore. It is obvious that the news personalities reporting on the Trump phenomenon understand exactly what is happening, but Trump is like heroine to their networks; they know they are hooked, but they simply canít help themselves. The only question is what unbelievable statement will next find its way out of Trumpís mouth.

I hear establishment Republicans on the news networks claiming time and time again that since Trumpís message resonates with only about of third of the Republican electorate, he will sooner or later be overtaken by more serious contenders. However, I think that they believe that message less and less every day, and that frightens the hell out of them. They know that if Trump wins the Republican nomination, there is little chance that this reality TV clown can win the general election.

More > News Networks Are Dancing to Trumpís Tune

4 replies, 1174 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply News Networks Are Dancing to Trumpís Tune (Original post)
CajunBlazer Dec 2015 OP
rurallib Dec 2015 #1
NobodyHere Dec 2015 #2
winstars Dec 2015 #4
gvstn Dec 2015 #3

Response to CajunBlazer (Original post)

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 10:53 AM

1. the problem in the repug party is: what serious candidates?

Cruz, Rubio, Bush?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:02 PM

2. Everytime I look at DU

There's always several threads about Donald Trump.

Coincidence?

Reply to this post

Response to NobodyHere (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 25, 2015, 02:00 PM

4. I seek that also but this guy is dangerous and could possibly get the nod somehow from the 'pugs

So we need watch him.

But maybe not dozens of threads each day...

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 25, 2015, 01:12 AM

3. Truth is told. And you have great eloquence in your writing. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread