HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "The social instability t...

Mon Dec 14, 2015, 04:39 PM

"The social instability that resulted from inequities in the class system gave way to the rise......

[font size="3"]......of demagogues like the brothers Gracchi. The use of the citizen assemblies for popular agendas tore at the very fabric of Senatorial power.

Men like Marius and Sulla, with their own personal agendas and rivalries wreaked havoc in an already weakened structure. Partisan politics of the conservative Optimate Senators trying to keep power with the elite class, while the tactics of the Populares, who looked to the lower classes for support, divided the people and classes into what seemed like warring factions. For nearly 100 years, the climate was unpredictable at best, and brutally bloody at worst."[/font]

- from Fall of the Roman Republic

Dejavu all over again.

3 replies, 768 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply "The social instability that resulted from inequities in the class system gave way to the rise...... (Original post)
marmar Dec 2015 OP
tularetom Dec 2015 #1
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2015 #2
hedda_foil Dec 2015 #3

Response to marmar (Original post)

Mon Dec 14, 2015, 05:19 PM

1. I think Mel Brooks commented on that

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 14, 2015, 05:23 PM

2. I told people to seriously read Cicero

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 14, 2015, 06:57 PM

3. My understanding of the Gracchi brothers was that they were of the left, relatively speaking.

They've been compared to the Kennedy brothers, and not just because they were assassinated for their troubles. It's the demagogue part that bothers me. As in populist=demagogue.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread