HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Unsettling Video Shows Oa...

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:38 PM

Unsettling Video Shows Oakland Cop Spit on a Man for Filming Him, claims it's not assault

Claims it's not assault. It is. God help the videotaped if he had spit back

---!!-

A short video was uploaded to Facebook Saturday that epitomizes the rift between police and the citizens.

The video was posted to Facebook by Peter Garza on Saturday, with the following description:

A OAKLAND,CA police officer spat on a friend of mine last night and he got it on video.. the cop claims it’s not assault, but if it was the other way around I’m sure my friend would of [sic] got charged with “Assault on a peace officer. THIS IS NOT RIGHT! MAKE THIS GO VIRAL

While it is unclear as to what was happening during the video, the actions of this officer are not disputed.

He spat on a man who was filming him.

The act of spitting on a person is considered assault under California law. A California assault can occur even if the touching involved did not or could not cause any sort of injury. It doesn’t need to be direct either—it can be done indirectly by causing an object to touch the “victim,” according to SHouse California Law Group.
http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/unsettling-video-shows-oakland-cop-spit-man-filming-him

4 replies, 842 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unsettling Video Shows Oakland Cop Spit on a Man for Filming Him, claims it's not assault (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
randys1 Aug 2015 #1
cherokeeprogressive Aug 2015 #3
JDPriestly Aug 2015 #4
tabasco Aug 2015 #2

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:43 PM

1. I see him throwing something small but not spitting

now i see it but when he spits his head goes out of frame

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to randys1 (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:45 PM

3. Sunflower seed(s)? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to randys1 (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:49 PM

4. " While it is unclear as to what was happening during the video,

the actions of this officer are not disputed."

Very immature.

That officer is demonstrating childish conduct and is unfit to be a police officer.

Of all the qualities that an officer carrying a gun who is entrusted with the authority of the government should have, it is self-control.

A four-year-old knows that spitting or throwing things at others is unacceptable.

Why is this character carrying a gun and ordering people around?

My opinion: he shouldn't be. He should be sent back to kindergarten to learn how to behave.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:45 PM

2. This officer is about to get a lesson in the law.

Civilly and criminally, spitting on someone is assault and/or battery.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread