HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The busboy who cradled a ...

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:20 PM

The busboy who cradled a dying RFK has finally stepped out of the past

Juan Romero, the Ambassador Hotel busboy who cradled a dying Robert F. Kennedy after he was shot on June 5, 1968, carried the weight of that moment through the decades. Now, he says, "I don't carry the cross anymore."

----

A Roosevelt High School student who had moved north from Mexico at the age of 10, Romero recalled the photos of President John F. Kennedy that hung alongside those of Pope John Paul XXIII in the homes of Mexican families.

He worked at the hotel after school and had delivered room service to Kennedy earlier in the week. He knew he'd never forget the way Kennedy treated him and the pride he felt, and now he wanted to congratulate him as the candidate made his way through a kitchen service area. Romero reached out, took Kennedy's hand, and watched him slump to the floor as gun blasts echoed.

The black-and-white photos of that moment, by Boris Yaro of the Los Angeles Times and Bill Eppridge of Life magazine, are as haunting now as they were 47 years ago

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0830-lopez-romero-20150829-column.html

90 replies, 13457 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 90 replies Author Time Post
Reply The busboy who cradled a dying RFK has finally stepped out of the past (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
hifiguy Aug 2015 #1
billhicks76 Aug 2015 #12
George II Aug 2015 #13
billhicks76 Aug 2015 #25
GoneFishin Aug 2015 #42
sabrina 1 Aug 2015 #50
emsimon33 Aug 2015 #57
billhicks76 Aug 2015 #63
Frank Cannon Aug 2015 #68
karynnj Aug 2015 #28
George II Aug 2015 #32
karynnj Aug 2015 #36
sabrina 1 Aug 2015 #51
icarusxat Aug 2015 #77
C Moon Aug 2015 #59
SheilaT Aug 2015 #71
KansDem Aug 2015 #62
nomorenomore08 Aug 2015 #65
hifiguy Aug 2015 #87
yellerpup Aug 2015 #69
emsimon33 Aug 2015 #55
volstork Aug 2015 #56
emsimon33 Aug 2015 #89
deutsey Aug 2015 #70
billhicks76 Aug 2015 #86
1norcal Aug 2015 #74
Rex Aug 2015 #37
hifiguy Aug 2015 #38
Boomerproud Aug 2015 #44
abelenkpe Aug 2015 #49
smirkymonkey Aug 2015 #2
NBachers Aug 2015 #3
Lifelong Protester Aug 2015 #4
brer cat Aug 2015 #5
hedda_foil Aug 2015 #60
stage left Aug 2015 #6
DinahMoeHum Aug 2015 #7
niyad Aug 2015 #8
RoccoR5955 Aug 2015 #9
1monster Aug 2015 #10
JDPriestly Aug 2015 #11
Thor_MN Aug 2015 #14
shenmue Aug 2015 #15
dmr Aug 2015 #16
LiberalElite Aug 2015 #17
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 #21
LiberalElite Aug 2015 #22
nolabear Aug 2015 #31
cilla4progress Aug 2015 #78
Gumboot Aug 2015 #18
alphafemale Aug 2015 #19
KT2000 Aug 2015 #20
Javaman Aug 2015 #23
treestar Aug 2015 #24
DawgHouse Aug 2015 #26
BeanMusical Aug 2015 #27
LWolf Aug 2015 #29
MinM Aug 2015 #73
Omaha Steve Aug 2015 #30
George II Aug 2015 #33
Omaha Steve Aug 2015 #34
MerryBlooms Aug 2015 #35
Octafish Aug 2015 #39
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 #40
hifiguy Aug 2015 #41
Octafish Aug 2015 #45
1norcal Aug 2015 #75
MinM Aug 2015 #80
1norcal Aug 2015 #84
MinM Aug 2015 #88
MinM Sep 2015 #90
ladyVet Aug 2015 #43
Autumn Aug 2015 #46
Le Taz Hot Aug 2015 #47
mnhtnbb Aug 2015 #48
proverbialwisdom Aug 2015 #52
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 #85
a la izquierda Aug 2015 #53
emsimon33 Aug 2015 #54
avaistheone1 Aug 2015 #58
flamingdem Aug 2015 #61
tblue Aug 2015 #64
Unknown Beatle Aug 2015 #66
mikehiggins Aug 2015 #67
cilla4progress Aug 2015 #79
MinM Aug 2015 #72
1norcal Aug 2015 #76
dougolat Aug 2015 #81
1norcal Aug 2015 #82
WillyT Aug 2015 #83

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:25 PM

1. That still hurts so deeply, even so many years later.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hifiguy (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:28 PM

12. GW Bragged In College That Dad In CIA

Not surprising he was made CIA Director to destroy evidence during Congressional inquiries in '75 after being Chairman of the Republican Party. I myself have no doubt that Bush Sr was involved with this assassination. He had been quoted many times saying," You think the Kennedy boys were big...wait till you see what my boys are gonna do." Bush Sr also is the only mam on earth who claimed he didn't remember where he was when hearing JFK was killed.

Reply to this post

Response to billhicks76 (Reply #12)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:37 PM

13. That family is criminal AND stupid. Remember in October 2001 at a dinner or something...

...he was being interviewed and he said "when I saw the first plane hit I thought it was a bad pilot, and then when I saw the second plane hit...." (I may not have the exact quote)

The problem is that there wasn't a video or a photograph of the first plane hitting the WTC until a day or two later.

How did he "see" the first plane hit? He screwed up because he knew it was going to happen.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #13)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:45 PM

25. No Doubt They Facilitated It

What I see as the bigger problem are our own flat-earth, gravity denying types here in our own ranks that put themselves above everyone. Because their belief systems become uncomfortable and strained then we all have to be relegated to free speech, speculation discussion zones? Because they like the way they have organized their views and are too lazy to change them based on evidence? They are allowed to "speculate" all day about Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump but the Big Lies they will not touch? Our entire world and view was forced to change because these criminals in high places allowed 911 to happen and evidently facilitated it. Now we have all our emails and texts read so any prominent attorney, politician, general, businessman etc can have them leveraged against them for some kind of gain, people's GPS movements are tracked to put the machinery of the Drug War in overdrive with cars pulled over on every highway in every corner of the country to fleece the public and political protests can be put down with militarized police when we don't like what the oligarchy is doing. Sometimes I feel like we are living in Idiocracy. If you think 911 wasn't coordinated to happen by people other than Muslim terrorists then frankly I would say you're a fool. Thank you George for observing the obvious and not being a scared little fool for pointing it out. I agree with you 1000000%!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to billhicks76 (Reply #25)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 08:28 PM

42. +1,000,000.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 10:18 PM

50. Good post, thank you !

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:29 PM

57. Be careful..I had a post hidden because I mentioned that 9/11 was a false flag

Come and get me...again.

Reply to this post

Response to emsimon33 (Reply #57)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:08 AM

63. If They Censor It Then Proves My Point

These are the same people who cowardly allowed Bush and Cheney to get away with what they did out of fear of being labeled. The official story is a fairy tale as Sen Graham and Sen Cleland stated numerous times...a whitewashed fraud they said. Of course people accept that Bush and Cheney lied outright about WMD in Iraq and hundreds of thousands of lives didn't mean a thing to them. Dead children everywhere and they loved it. Is it really a stretch to think they wouldn't let American lives get sacrificed on US soil for their own political and economic gain? I think we all know psychopaths exists in this world and being rich and powerful doesn't make you immune so much as it enforces it.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 06:50 AM

68. I wish I could recommend you 1,000,000 times.

And marry into your family and give you lots of healthy grandchildren.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:14 PM

28. It was incredibly traumatic and I think that he might have seen the aftermath and misstated this

I know that many people I spoke to in the NJ suburbs, spoke of hearing and seeing on TV or in a few cases across the Hudson, the first plane hitting, and saying that only when they hear (or saw) the second plane hit did they realize that it was a terrorist attack. In reality, they did not see the plane hit, they did see the aftermath of that plane before the second hit, but language - especially in such times - loses its preciseness.

At the time I lived in a NJ suburb, which lost people that day. One daughter described how at her (private) school, they let the forbidden cell phones come out and quietly asked the kids if they could share their phones with any kids that did not have them. These were kids in many cases calling NYC to make sure that their mother or father - or both were safe. (Almost anyone working in the wall street area went thru the Path station at the bottom of the Twin Towers. (My other two daughters were home sick with a virus)

I had worked in a small building in the Trade Center about 25 years earlier near when they first opened. It was amazing that I could see clear as anything in my mind exactly the way things looked from the Path Station past news and danish stores leading to the building I had not seen or thought of for 25 years. A lot of that HAD to be completely made up. It was also not a view of those in the most danger, but - in fact - those in the Trade Center in the least danger.

I also remember turning off the TV early in the morning not wanting it on when the girls woke up. It was clear that the images were already engraved in the minds of almost anyone who saw them. I remember going to the backyard and being stunned by the how quiet everything was. I remember the startling beautiful crisp Fall day where everything looked the same -- yet we knew nothing was the same.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #28)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:29 PM

32. There was video of the smoke and flames in the building afterward, but no one had a video...

...of the actual crash. The only one that surface was from the French film crew that was filming up in the Village and the cameraman turned his camera toward the building as the plane hit. But that wasn't released until a day or two later.

You're correct about the weather that day - maybe the most perfectly dry sunny day I've ever seen. And it was bizarre driving down an interstate later in the week and not seeing a single airplane in the sky.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #32)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:50 PM

36. I know that

The point I was making is that I heard people make the same mistake. What they saw was the aftermath, not the hit. There main point was when they knew it was not a deadly accident -- and that was when the second plane hit. Here. I am talking about neighbors and others - at a point near the event - at meetings in the town and surrounding areas where people were trying to deal with what had happened.

This was a very severe example of how bad people really are as first hand (or even first hand via tv) witnesses. Many thought they saw things they really didn't.

For me, the repeating eeriest thing was that a major road out of my area of town to almost anywhere included a steep hill from which you could see the Twin Towers in the far distance on a clear day. For weeks, we saw smoke emanating from there -- leading to some of the brightest sunsets ever as light reflected on all the dust put into the air.

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #36)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 10:25 PM

51. I saw the second plane hit AFTER we were told that a plane had hit the WTC. So I knew it was the

SECOND plane that we saw. We knew we didn't see the first plane because the footage only showed the aftermath after the first plane hit the building. In fact, I don't really know how anyone could have thought that the second plane was the first to hit the WTC considering how shocked the reporters were when they realized that what they were already reporting on, was now happening AGAIN.

Bush is either completely stupid, didn't have advisers telling him what was going on, or he saw it somewhere else.

No one I know thought that they had seen the first plane. Maybe we are all just smarter than Bush.

Reply to this post

Response to sabrina 1 (Reply #51)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 10:55 AM

77. most of us are, the rest are too stupid to know how stupid they are...

Reply to this post

Response to karynnj (Reply #36)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 AM

59. I understand what you're saying and that makes sense to me. Especially considering all the

times that jerk screwed up what he was trying to say—and looked like an idiot in the process.
Can't stand the man, but I'm not 100% sold on the conspiracy theories. I am starting to lean that way, but not yet a believer.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #32)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 08:36 AM

71. There were also people who saw the first plane hit

who confidently asserted it was a small aircraft of some size, despite the fact that the airplane-shaped hole it produced was clearly that of a large commercial jet of some kind.

And there are those who also confidently assert that the second WTC hit and the Pentagon hit were by missiles, even though the first was caught by many cameras, the second by at least one video camera, and many thousands of people watched the actual airplanes strike.

People don't always recognize what they see. They also mis-remember things. Sometimes they even lie.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 01:20 AM

62. video

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 03:14 AM

65. I have my doubts that 9/11 was actually *carried out* by the administration.

But I know for sure they had advance knowledge and deliberately ignored it.

Reply to this post

Response to nomorenomore08 (Reply #65)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 03:57 PM

87. Yep. LIHOP.

Let it happen on purpose,almost certainly on the order of Satan's favorite son.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 07:56 AM

69. I think he's criminal and stupid, too, BUT...

I saw the second plane hit live on TV (local news) as did many others. The news anchors didn't notice it for an hour and then they played it over and over. Just so you know.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:27 PM

55. He was in Dallas. Of course the CIA killed Kennedy...and King...and Kennedy... .

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:29 PM

56. Nixon also said the same thing.

Octafish has some eye-opening info on the JFK/RFK assassinations. Check out his posts here on DU.
It is all of a piece, and it is no accident that the Bushes gained power and kept it. GHW controlled Reagan, and all of the goons that were Nixon's underlings (http://www.historycommons.org/timeline.jsp?nixon_and_watergate_tmln_other=nixon_and_watergate_tmln_rumsfeld__cheney__and_ford_neocons&timeline=nixon_and_watergate_tmln) didn't go to prison because Ford pardoned them. He was the only unelected president, and interestingly, sat on the Warren Commission.
Although he denies it, GHW was in the CIA at the time of JFK's assassination and became chief under Ford. The Nixon goons show up again under W to start the Iraq war and to reap the spoils of Halliburton et al.
We underwent a coup with JFK's assassination, and we are still living under those who overthrew our government 52 years ago

Reply to this post

Response to volstork (Reply #56)

Mon Aug 31, 2015, 04:02 AM

89. Yep

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 08:11 AM

70. Mere coincidence

Just like the Bush family's friendships with Hinkley's family and the bin Ladens.

I'm sure everyone can find such connections in their own lives.

(in case it's not obvious)

Reply to this post

Response to deutsey (Reply #70)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 03:43 PM

86. Hinkleys Connection Creepy

You can watch the ABC news report of Neil Bush meeting Hinkleys father the day before the '81 attempted assassination. Think Bush Sr scared Reagan?

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 09:58 AM

74. Thanks

Thanks Billhicks76, I just wanted to support your statement. The truth will come totally out some day!

Reply to this post

Response to hifiguy (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:53 PM

37. That was another huge step in our decline and the decline of western civilization imo.

We talk about milestones in our evolution, the death of the Kennedy brothers, MLK and other 'once in a century' leaders -assassinated for political reasons with little to no consequences.

We have never been the same since imo.

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #37)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:57 PM

38. Nope.

And none of them were "accidents."

Malcolm X should probebly be on that list as well.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 08:51 PM

44. Very well said, and surely not an opinion, but a fact.

I don't weep just for the Kennedy family, but for all of us.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 10:01 PM

49. Wasn't even born yet

Just been around for the unravelling. Wish we lived in a world where this man had lived.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:27 PM

2. Wow, powerful story behind the iconic photo.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:40 PM

3. My sense of loss is worse today than it was then.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:40 PM

4. Brings me right back

to that unimaginable night (It was my sister's birthday).

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:42 PM

5. It was hard for so many of us

to get past the emotional toll of Bobby's assassination, but infinitely easier than for the young man beside him. I am glad he has found a measure of peace at last. It was never his cross to carry.

Reply to this post

Response to brer cat (Reply #5)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 AM

60. Many of us never got over it and never will.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 03:58 PM

6. Seeing this is a stab to the heart.

Just like it was in 1968.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:01 PM

7. I was only 12 at the time. . .

. . .and even now it still hurts.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:06 PM

8. tears here, too, even after all these years. I have frequently thought that the world as we knew

it changed that dreadful night, and not for the better.

I am so glad that this brave soul found peace. to think he was carrying guilt for so long-how horrible.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:07 PM

9. If only...

Bobby had not been assassinated.
It was a sad moment for me, even at the very young age of 13.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:15 PM

10. It's a very hard lesson and he was too young to learn it.

"I don't know if you can understand this, but [what happened in 1968] has made me more humble," Romero said. "It made me realize that no matter how much hope you have, it can be taken away in a second."

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:16 PM

11. K&R.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:46 PM

14. I was 5 and a half, and I remember seeing it on TV the next day.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:49 PM

15. ...

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 04:55 PM

16. My heart aches still. That picture truly does hurt.

I was in high school then. He was a good man. A determined man.

I don't know the right descriptive word(s) to use, but 1968 was something else.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:01 PM

17. 1968 was a b**ch of a year -

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalElite (Reply #17)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:22 PM

21. Bowers museum in s.Calif has a 1968 exhibit

I am thinking of going. I was too young to recall the momentous events
Of that year.

http://www.bowers.org/index.php/exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/40-exhibitions/current-exhibitions/403-the-1968-exhibit

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #21)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:32 PM

22. I graduated h.s. that year

got my first job, etc. It was something else (as they used to say)... It looks like a very worthwhile exhibit. I can't see it I'm on the Atlantic side.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalElite (Reply #17)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:23 PM

31. I was 13. My mother died in March, MLK a few weeks later and then Bobby.

I was the only liberal in a world of, well, it was 1968 in Mississippi. I thought the world was going to just end.

Reply to this post

Response to nolabear (Reply #31)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 11:41 AM

78. Wow - what a survivor

you are!

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:04 PM

18. The day the music died.

And now I think back, wondering what a different world we could have had...

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:11 PM

19. What might have been. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:16 PM

20. I'm so sorry he suffered so much

everything we do, whether love, hate, or somewhere in between, has ripples. For him I am glad that love won out.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:39 PM

23. what could have been...

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:44 PM

24. Poor guy

I'm glad he is doing better.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:47 PM

26. This is heartbreaking. What a terrible burden, I am glad he is letting go.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 05:54 PM

27. What a tragic loss...

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:15 PM

29. I was only 8 years old,

but I remember clearly the stunned silence in my home, the horror and grief overwhelming the adults who understood, and the tv going on and on.

Reply to this post

Response to LWolf (Reply #29)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 09:38 AM

73. Same here ..

It was surreal.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:15 PM

30. I was 11 years old when I went door to door for Bobby

I still have that button somewhere.

K&R!

OS

Reply to this post

Response to Omaha Steve (Reply #30)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:31 PM

33. My mother became an American citizen a couple of years earlier when Kennedy was our Senator.

She received a personally signed letter from him congratulating her for becoming an American and saying how important that was.

We still have it.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #33)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:34 PM

34. A friend of ours in LA

Still has his JFK letter on White House stationary with a signature. He was in grade school at the time.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 06:41 PM

35. I was only 5... my dad put me on his shoulders

to see Bobby Kennedy speak at the Medford courthouse. "Pay attention Kitten, this man is going to change the world."

I wish peace of mind and heart for this lovely man, Juan Romero... and I know he knows, there are many who still cry.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 07:18 PM

39. Notice the tie...RFK pulled it off the security guard, Thane Eugene Cesar.

Last edited Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:07 PM - Edit history (1)

From what I understand, Cesar was standing directly behind the Senator, and had pulled his revolver out. Some believe he fired the fatal shot, as Sirhan was in front of Bobby. Coroner Thomas Noguchi reported RFK was shot from very close range, based on the powder burns, on the back of his head.

The work of the late Philip H. Melanson is of historic proportion.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=364&topic_id=2762695&mesg_id=2765757

Reply to this post

Response to Octafish (Reply #39)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 07:41 PM

40. didn't notice the tie until u pointed it out. a clip on

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 07:55 PM

41. Caesar has been a person of interest for years.

As usual, you understand perfectly correctly.

Reply to this post

Response to hifiguy (Reply #41)

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:21 PM

45. Ace Security

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 10:15 AM

75. William Pepper

Octafish, William Pepper who won a case for the King Family that proved that Martin Luther King died due to a conspiracy, also filed a like suit in California recently, that was dismissed, incorrectly, I think, as being without merit. My hope is that he will re-file...

Reply to this post

Response to 1norcal (Reply #75)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:04 PM

80. Larry Teeter & Scott Enyart

Good point, 1norcal. In fact it looked like a new trial was going to be granted a few years ago based on the acoustic evidence that proved there was more than 1 gun fired in the Ambassador Hotel pantry that day. Unfortunately the momentum from that acoustic evidence and new witnesses seems to have waned.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A controversial assertion by convicted Robert F. Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan to win his freedom was challenged this week by the California attorney general who said "overwhelming evidence" exists against Sirhan's claims.

Sirhan's attorneys have said that a second gunman actually assassinated Kennedy in 1968 and that Sirhan was hypno-programmed to fire a gun as a diversion...

[font color=blue]Harris[/font], who is asking a federal court in Los Angeles to dismiss Sirhan's request, [font color=red]conceded in court papers filed Wednesday that his lawyers may be able to show two guns were involved in Kennedy's assassination[/font]. Kennedy was seeking the Democratic presidential nomination when he was killed.

But even if Sirhan's lawyers can show 13 shots were fired in the Kennedy shooting, Sirhan shouldn't be released from prison, Harris said...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/04/justice/california-sirhan-rfk/index.html

Now let's go back about 20 years .. During the only real investigation and trial in the RFK case Scott Enyart's legal team was able to share some research with Larry Teeter (Sirhan's attorney before William Pepper) in his defense of Sirhan. Unfortunately Larry Teeter died before he could do anything with that information. Hopefully William Pepper will be able to use it if he ever gets a re-trial.

Here's some background on the Scott Enyart case from DUer John Simkin:
Jamie Scott Enyart was another witness who was not called to testify in court. Enyart, a high-school student, was taking photographs of Robert Kennedy as he was walking from the ballroom of the Ambassador Hotel to the Colonial Room where the press conference was due to take place. Enyart was standing slightly behind Kennedy when the shooting began and snapped as fast as he could. As Enyart was leaving the pantry, two LAPD officers accosted him at gunpoint and seized his film. Later, he was told by Detective Dudley Varney that the photographs were needed as evidence in the Sirhan trial. The photographs were not presented as evidence but the court ordered that all evidential materials had to be sealed for twenty years.

[font color=blue]In 1988 Enyart requested that his photographs should be returned[/font]. [font color=green]At first the State Archives claimed they could not find them and that they must have been destroyed by mistake[/font]. Enyart filed a lawsuit which finally came to trial in 1996. [font color=darkred]During the trial the Los Angeles city attorney announced that the photos had been found in its Sacramento office and would be brought to the courthouse by the courier retained by the State Archives[/font]. [font color=green]The following day it was announced that the courier’s briefcase, that contained the photographs, had been stolen from the car he rented at the airport[/font]. [font color=blue]The photographs have never been recovered[/font] and [font color=red]the jury subsequently awarded Scott Enyart $450,000 in damages[/font]...

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5799&p=61215

A few more angles to that Scott Enyart case ..

• Court TV was all set to report on and broadcast that case but the plug was pulled just before the trial started.

• LA Coroner Thomas Noguchi testified for the first time in the Enyart case. The man that could have place right wing nutjob Thane Eugene Cesar in the perfect position to get off the fatal shot (btw Thane Cesar never testified either) was never called to testify in the original trial.

Reply to this post

Response to MinM (Reply #80)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:48 PM

84. Many thanks...

I will follow all of the links, thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to 1norcal (Reply #75)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 09:28 PM

88. Hugh Jackman was set to play William Pepper ..

Lee Daniels and Hugh Jackman to tackle Martin Luther King slaying
By Steven Zeitchik
July 31, 2012, 3:32 p.m.

EXCLUSIVE: Lee Daniels and Hugh Jackman failed to get a civil rights picture off the ground when their passion project "Selma" fell apart two years ago. But the pair are taking another crack at that subject, exploring the Martin Luther King Jr. assassination with a new film that takes an unconventional view of King's murder.

Daniels will direct and Jackman will star in "Orders to Kill," a story that aims to tell an alternative version of the King shooting, according to a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. Millennium Films will produce and finance the film, which is currently being shopped around to distributors in Hollywood. A Millennium spokeswoman did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The film will tell the story of William Pepper (Jackman), a controversial attorney and activist who for decades has argued that convicted killer James Earl Ray, who recanted his confession and died arguing his innocence, didn't shoot MLK.

The picture will follow Pepper over the years as he wages a one-man campaign, interviewing witnesses and building support for his theory that other interests, including those from the U.S. government, were behind the 1968 Memphis killing. (In a nutshell, Pepper, who is still alive, argues that government interests wanted King dead because of his opposition to the Vietnam War.) It will be based on Pepper's own book, which has been adapted for the screen by Hollywood screenwriter Hanna Weg.

The movie has echoes of "JFK," Oliver Stone's film from 20 years ago that also argued for a broad conspiracy behind the assassination of a 1960s icon. Though controversial, the film was a huge hit and won two Oscars...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/31/entertainment/la-et-mn-lee-daniels-hugh-jackman-to-tackle-martin-luther-king-slaying-20120731

So this movie morphed from 'Selma' to 'Orders to Kill' back to 'Selma' again. When it morphed back to Selma it was minus Hugh Jackman. Obviously the movie Selma turned out great but it would have been nice to see Orders to Kill too.

Reply to this post

Response to MinM (Reply #88)

Sat Sep 5, 2015, 07:41 AM

90. Jackman to play Bond

James Bond

TIME.com ‏@TIME: Hugh Jackman says he'd 'seriously consider' playing James Bond
http://ti.me/1PNfhMF

Still would rather see him play Pepper, William Pepper

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 08:28 PM

43. I was only ten years old.

School was out, and I was watching cartoons when a news story came on. All I really remember was my mother crying and I didn't understand why. I had no idea who RFK was.

A couple of years ago I asked Mama if the Kennedys being Catholic ever bothered her, and she said no, her father had always told his children that the family were good Democrats and that was all that mattered.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:23 PM

46. That is seared in my brain. It never stops hurting.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:28 PM

47. I was 20 miles from that event

and watching it on live T.V. Stunned after the MLK death the same year and his brother 5 years earlier doesn't begin to describe the impact. How much of a different world this would have been had he lived. He would have been president and Nixon and Kissinger would have never happened.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 09:41 PM

48. I worked with an RN--she was black, too--in the early 70's who was on that night in the ER

at Good Sam where RFK was taken after he was shot.

I still get shivers remembering her telling the story of that night.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 10:31 PM

52. Why'd you use that photo? The photo associated with the online article is different.

PHOTO: http://www.trbimg.com/img-55e12abd/turbine/la-2436731-me-0830-lopez-romero-dasilva-04-jpg-20150828/400/16x9

Peter DaSilva / For The Times

Juan Romero, the Ambassador Hotel busboy who cradled a dying Robert F. Kennedy after he was shot on June 5, 1968, carried the weight of that moment through the decades. Now, he says, "I don't carry the cross anymore."
August 29, 2015, 4:50 p.m.

Reply to this post

Response to proverbialwisdom (Reply #52)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:48 PM

85. could post that link. found photo of Romero cradling Kennedy. wanted to show photo That

Made him famous

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:10 PM

53. Haunting

I wasn't born for 9 years after the photo, but I grew up in an Irish family that loves the Kennedys.

That picture made me bawl.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2015, 11:26 PM

54. We are so much wiser now

If they kill Bernie, we will take to the streets. We will drag them from their high perches and destroy all that is theirs. No more murder of leaders of light. No more. We are much wiser and angier now. We will not buy their lies. If they kill, their empire will crash and burn.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:19 AM

58. k&r

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:35 AM

61. This explains so much about what he felt

and what we lost:

>>"He made me feel like a regular citizen," Romero says of the night he delivered room service to Kennedy. "He made me feel like a human being. He didn't look at my color, he didn't look at my position ... and like I tell everybody, he shook my hand. I didn't ask him."

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:23 AM

64. I was a little kid but I remember like it was last week

I remember my mom coming into my room crying. I had gone to bed happy, right after the election was called for Bobby. Oh man.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 03:45 AM

66. I was fourteen when they assassinated RFK.

My mom and dad were shocked and in disbelieve and I remember that I was thinking that it must not be a coincidence but a conspiracy because they had assassinated JFK too. Someone was after the Kennedy's and now the truth is starting to unfold.

Bastards, the lot of them that planned and executed two Kennedy brothers.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 05:25 AM

67. Dying, RFK wasn't alone

The boy could not help him but he showed heart. Good for him.

Reply to this post

Response to mikehiggins (Reply #67)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 11:43 AM

79. I know - he looks all alone!

Why was no one else cradling him? Thanks to this young man.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 09:17 AM

72. My mom and author Romain Gary both had premonitions ..

about Bobby getting killed. My mom's was not so much a premonition as it was a recognition that the Today Show was foreshadowing some horrible news.

The morning after RFK was shot we turned on the Today Show like every morning before school (3rd grade). That morning they mentioned something about breaking news regarding RFK in Los Angeles and immediately my mom asked me if he had been killed? I told her that they just mentioned 'breaking news' nothing specific. Of course it turned out that she had guessed where they were going. As did author Romain Gary (a month earlier)...

The FBI vs. Jean Seberg - TIME

In late May, (1968) he slipped off to director John Frankenheimer's Malibu beach house with some Hollywood glitterati, including Shirley MacLaine, Warren Beatty, [font color=red]Jean Seberg[/font] and Seberg's novelist husband, Romain Gary. Unable to leave Kennedy alone, Gary accosted him: [font color=blue]"You know, don't you, that somebody is going to kill you?"[/font] Kennedy fended him off with fatalism. [font color=darkred]"That's the chance I have to take,"[/font] he said.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10067&#entry103580

Charles Guggenheim film commemorates RFK @ 1968 DNC

Reply to this post

Response to MinM (Reply #72)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 10:27 AM

76. Thank You

Thanks for sharing that, MinM, we may get some closure yet...

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 12:14 PM

81. Well, there it is..

Sirhan Sirhan was in FRONT of RFK, who died from a shot to the BACK of the head.
It shows, doesn't it?

Reply to this post

Response to dougolat (Reply #81)

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 01:21 PM

82. Yes

It does!

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:43 PM

83. K & R !!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread