HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Blight, old clothes and a...

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:33 PM

Blight, old clothes and a Danish fugitive: Inside cities' fight against donation bins

Blight, old clothes and a Danish fugitive: Inside cities' fight against donation bins

?resize=620%2C41

?resize=620%2C414

When Ithey first started popping up around town, the colorful metal collection bins for donated shoes and clothing didn't cause much of a stir in Stanton.

And then they multiplied.

"Within a year, they were all over the city, specifically on Beach Boulevard," said City Manager James Box, whose Orange County municipality is among many in Southern California that have seen a proliferation of the receptacles in recent years.

With the bins have come blight and other problems, local officials say, not to mention a rash of complaints about overflowing drop boxes that often attract jettisoned mattresses, broken furniture and piles of garbage. Dozens of cities, including Stanton, have passed laws in the last couple of years to ban them.
______

In an April decision with far-reaching ramifications, federal appellate judges in a Michigan lawsuit deemed the bins a form of constitutionally protected speech. The ruling already has spurred cities there and in California to start replacing their bans with laws that will permit the ubiquitous boxes but regulate them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-planetaid-bins-20150814-story.html
http://www.yourwestvalley.com/surprise/article_80c8fc3c-e3c7-11e4-9566-2b8cbc67a9bd.html?mode=jqm

6 replies, 640 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Blight, old clothes and a Danish fugitive: Inside cities' fight against donation bins (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
msongs Aug 2015 #1
REP Aug 2015 #2
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 #3
Retrograde Aug 2015 #4
yellowcanine Aug 2015 #6
Codeine Aug 2015 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 05:04 PM

1. so the judges will be cool with having some bins in their courtrooms? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 05:10 PM

2. I'd be interested in knowing more about these mystery boxes

The info in the piece is a good start, but that's not the only company with these mystery eyesores. I've been curious about them; it's a clever yet somehow sinister idea (people may think they're helping those in poverty, when in fact a lot of fiber is being resold).

Reply to this post

Response to REP (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 08:04 PM

3. I have heard that some of the bins belong to for profit companies

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 10:44 PM

4. Many (maybe most) more than some

Not only do they owners of the bins make a profit from the materials they get for free, often they don't bother to ask the real estate owners if they can put the bins on their property.

Reply to this post

Response to REP (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 15, 2015, 06:41 AM

6. A lot of this stuff is wholesaled to buyers who dump it in Africa

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/business/second-hand-clothes-africa/

Some is sold in thrift stores in the U.S. if it is a reputable charity. But even some charities sell the excess by the ton to wholesale buyers who ship it to Africa and essentially undermine local clothing industries there. There is hardly any effective regulation of this.

Aside from this issue, the collection box problem is a tough nut to crack. At minimum they should only be allowed for reputable charities and there should be a requirement that the boxes be emptied weekly and monitored with cameras to discourage dumping.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 11:59 PM

5. We let one be placed in our parking lot

at the grocery store I run. Two months later we demanded it be immediately removed; people dumped garbage in it, stuff was strewn all over from idiots rummaging in it, and kids kept climbing in.

They're a blight magnet.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread