HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New photos from dentist's...

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:18 PM

New photos from dentist's illegal bear hunt

http://www.sfgate.com/world/article/Dentist-smiles-over-illegal-bear-kill-in-new-6444790.php

show the world's most hated dentist flashing his pearly whites over the carcass of a hulking black bear during an illegal hunt in Wisconsin nine years ago.
ABC News obtained the photos of trophy hunter Walter Palmer through a Freedom of Information Act request from Wisconsin's Department of Natural Resources.

11 replies, 1077 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:24 PM

1. ...

I know everyone has their likes and dislikes but I wouldn't be posing in front of an animal I just killed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Catherine Vincent (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:38 PM

6. A strange thing to be proud of.

I understand posing with a big fish that's going to be let go, or something to be eaten.

"Look at this amazing thing that was very difficult to catch, which will now feed us all, or, if not suitable for eating, will be returned to its habitat."

But what's with the big stupid grin for just killing a cool, (often rare) animal for no reason?

"Hey, look! I have proven, for the trillionth time, that even large animals are basically defenseless against human trickery and weapons!"

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:25 PM

2. I'd be willing to bet...

...that a depraved, malignant narcissist like that, counts a minimum of one human kill in his trophy list.

TYY

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:27 PM

3. Dr. Death

karma, sir, karma

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:31 PM

4. It's pretty disconcerting reading these stories while also reading a biography of Theodore Roosevelt

But different times.

Bryant

Reply to this post

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:38 PM

7. IMO, it is just as bad no matter what time period.

There was never a good time to hunt and kill and animal that never meant you any harm or animosity. IMO.

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:45 PM

8. Well if Theodore Roosevelt comes back as a vampire or a zombie he'll probably disagree with you

By different times though i meant more that we weren't as aware of the extinction of animals back then. And in fairness, Roosevelt did help create our system of national parks.

Bryant

Reply to this post

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #8)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:50 PM

9. True I think he is considered the first American conservationist.

But did he have to kill so many animals and take a selfie? Sorry, that is just poor taste all around imo. I hope the 'sport' of trophy hunting large game goes extinct.

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:55 PM

10. But sometimes people do the right thing, even if for the wrong reasons

Theodore Roosevelt was our Conservation President. He started the National Parks and many animal Refuges. He recognized that certain animals were becoming endangered and needed Government protection.

All because he was a wildlife hunter.

But I will bet this dentist has no such aspirations.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:33 PM

5. His love for fresh death is disturbing. To me.

Yet he is not alone, many like him relish in the death of animals and I am starting to believe this is an extension of when they were young and killed animals (or wanted to) for fun. Usually people like that end up in bad ways, this guy became a dentist and got to hide it in his wealth and affluence.

Someone like the man in that picture, imo, has no soul or depth of character. They live just to inflict pain and death onto others. He is smiling about killing another living thing.

That is very wrong and disturbing imo.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 04:26 PM

11. Often lost in these discussion are the ethics of most guides...

Most hunters and guides (when used) are very much supportive of regulated hunting and supporting strong populations of both game animals and the many non-game animals. Oh, you will have the corrupt ones pointed out, but day-to-day the actions of these guides was what made the case against this poacher.

I know of one landowner who, when a guest knowlingly shot an illegal deer (antler restriction), disinvited him from hunting on his land again. If he wants to deer hunt again as a guest (and not pay the four-figure fee), he'll have to "make friends" with someone else.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread