HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » desperate whale asks for ...

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 07:02 PM

desperate whale asks for help. Comes to boat, rolls over and allows fisherman to remove trash

AUSTRALIA — A young man’s close encounter with a whale in Australia is caught on video… And now it’s gone viral.

The gentle giant approached several fisherman for help in Sydney’s middle harbor. Close encounters don’t get much closer than this.

It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for selfies. But then the boaters realized that this friendly giant appeared to be asking for a favor.

A plastic bag and fishing line was stuck near the whale’s mouth. One boater tried to remove it.

Then the whale came to young fisherman Ivan Iskenderian.

The Southern right whale rolled around, swam below them, even scared them a little, until the plastic bag was close enough for Ivan to tear free.

“That’s what he wanted all the while long,” a fisherman said.

http://kdvr.com/2015/08/13/fisherman-help-desperate-whale-remove-trash-in-close-encounter/

6 replies, 2591 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply desperate whale asks for help. Comes to boat, rolls over and allows fisherman to remove trash (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
Shandris Aug 2015 #1
riversedge Aug 2015 #3
KT2000 Aug 2015 #2
carolinayellowdog Aug 2015 #4
F4lconF16 Aug 2015 #6
shenmue Aug 2015 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 07:05 PM

1. Absolutely beautiful!

I needed a warm feeling tonight and that's perfect.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Shandris (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 07:18 PM

3. He must have somehow sensed the man would help him--he

needed to trust him. yes. beautiful

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 07:16 PM

2. Good going Ivan!

You have a friend forever!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 07:54 PM

4. all we need to know is that cetaceans are our equals and our friends

I spent a lot of the 20thc thinking about transcendence and spirituality and whatnot, practicing various forms of meditation etc. But NEVER had the kind of "OMG, we are NOT ALONE in the universe, there are beings beyond our comprehension" feeling from any so-called spirituality that I did from a few close encounters with bottlenose dolphins in the wild in 1998-2000. Eye contact with them is beyond description.

Can only imagine what it would be like to encounter their gigantic cousins as this fisherman did. God, or the Universe, or Karma, or whatever, BLESS HIM for coming to the rescue of this friendly giant mammal relative of ours.

Reply to this post

Response to carolinayellowdog (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 14, 2015, 03:12 PM

6. Douglas Adams understood that well.

And I think, so do you. I am very much an atheist, but I am spiritual. We...are connected to every other thing in the universe, just by being one that exists in the here and now. We're the ones lucky enough not only to have a perspective (trees, rocks, and star dust have perspectives as valid as ours), but to be self-aware. And that is a special thing. To be around other self-aware beings is a privilege beyond what any of us imagine it to be. How lucky, we are.

Things like this give me hope that maybe one day, many years from now, we can teach the world that perhaps other perspectives are not so different from ours. We are surrounded by incredible beings, and most of the time, we pass them by without a second thought.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 13, 2015, 09:14 PM

5. O hai, I can has help?

Poor feller. Good hoomins for helping him!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread