HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » road rage - who is at fau...

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 05:58 PM

road rage - who is at fault?

ANKENY, Iowa — A road rage incident turned bloody in Ankeny when a man allegedly punched a woman in the face. That woman, Lisa Teska, ended up in the hospital. It happened Wednesday afternoon at the intersection of Magazine Road and State Street. Teska says a man driving an SUV pulled out of the Ankeny High School staff parking lot and nearly sideswiped her vehicle. Teska threw a coin at the man’s SUV, and she says the man threw some coins back at her vehicle. Further down the road, Teska says the man got out of his SUV and attacked her, by punching her in the face.

With blood gushing everywhere, Teska called 911. Teska says the operator told her to lock the doors, roll up the windows and stay in her vehicle until police arrived; but Teska says when police got there, they weren’t much help. Describing what she says Ankeny Police told her at the scene, Teska told Channel 13 News, “they just kept talking about the same thing over and over, that the only way that they would press charges on him is if I agreed to go to jail for throwing the coin at him for criminal mischief.”

Lisa’s husband Derrick told Channel 13 News that Ankeny Police got this one wrong, saying, “the serve and protect just didn`t get done this time. I just feel that justice was not adequate…they said that doesn’t distinguish between a man and a woman, but I believe my wife was defending herself. She had no choice, she had a 14 year-old daughter in the car.” Derrick Teska told Channel 13 News that the man who allegedly assaulted his wife was never even hand-cuffed at the scene, and that greatly upset him.
http://whotv.com/2015/08/06/ankeny-road-rage-incident-turns-bloody/

5 replies, 711 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply road rage - who is at fault? (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
lpbk2713 Aug 2015 #1
catnhatnh Aug 2015 #2
Erich Bloodaxe BSN Aug 2015 #3
CanSocDem Aug 2015 #4
Igel Aug 2015 #5

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:02 PM

1. Someone with that short a fuse is dangerous.

A bad call on the part of the PD.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:03 PM

2. Bernie Sanders??? N/T

Reply to this post

Response to catnhatnh (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:05 PM

3. Ack!

We gonna need a 'Thanks, Bernie!' meme now?

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:23 PM

4. Why are some driving behaviours...

...gender specific?

And though it doesn't mention it in the story or video, I suspect that this woman, after having been "nearly sideswiped" and not quite vindicated after throwing "a coin", followed the SUV honking her horn and flipping him the bird. I'm pretty sure the SUV driver had had enough.

The proper response would have been way back at the intersection where she should have pulled over and thanked 'her stars' that she avoided an accident.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:47 PM

5. So many.

Everybody.

Including the woman's husband.

I don't see how she was defending herself. She was angry and acted out.

That made him angry--he may have started off angry, may have been a parent told something bad, or a teacher or administrator told something unpleasant--and he acted out.

What occurred between his coin toss and getting out of the car and punching her is anybody's guess. Perhaps nothing. Perhaps she continued to act on her uncontrolled anger and did something else foolish. Perhaps not. I'm guessing "foolish." Once you start playing the fool, it's hard to get out of that role.

She did this with a 14-year-old in the car? I wonder ... Perhaps the girl should have given mommy some advice on growing up. Perhaps the mother shouldn't have listened to the girl. And, in any event, what kind of a lesson did Mrs. Teska give her daughter.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread