HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Company that established ...

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 06:59 PM

Company that established $70K min wage - older employees disgruntled seeing new get same pay

More troubling, a few customers, dismayed by what they viewed as a political statement, withdrew their business. Others, anticipating a fee increase — despite repeated assurances to the contrary — also left. While dozens of new clients, inspired by Mr. Price’s announcement, were signing up, those accounts will not start paying off for at least another year. To handle the flood, he has already had to hire a dozen additional employees — now at a significantly higher cost — and is struggling to figure out whether more are needed without knowing for certain how long the bonanza will last.

Two of Mr. Price’s most valued employees quit, spurred in part by their view that it was unfair to double the pay of some new hires while the longest-serving staff members got small or no raises. Some friends and associates in Seattle’s close-knit entrepreneurial network were also piqued that Mr. Price’s action made them look stingy in front of their own employees.

Then potentially the worst blow of all: Less than two weeks after the announcement, Mr. Price’s older brother and Gravity co-founder, Lucas Price, citing longstanding differences, filed a lawsuit that potentially threatened the company’s very existence. With legal bills quickly mounting and most of his own paycheck and last year’s $2.2 million in profits plowed into the salary increases, Dan Price said, “We don’t have a margin of error to pay those legal fees.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html?_r=0

7 replies, 601 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Company that established $70K min wage - older employees disgruntled seeing new get same pay (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2015 OP
dhol82 Aug 2015 #1
onecaliberal Aug 2015 #2
Beaverhausen Aug 2015 #3
TexasProgresive Aug 2015 #4
gratuitous Aug 2015 #5
kelliekat44 Aug 2015 #7
Snobblevitch Aug 2015 #6

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 07:07 PM

1. No good deed goes unpunished

What a bitch.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 07:10 PM

2. This is mind boggling and representative of the

Greed and selfishness that is pervasive in this country.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 07:13 PM

3. They are getting more new customers

from the link

And the publicity surrounding it has generated tangible benefits. Three months before the announcement, the firm had been adding 200 clients a month. In June, 350 signed up.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 08:00 PM

4. Jesus spoke about this

Matthew 20:1-16 The parable of the workers in the vineyard.

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius[a] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.

3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”
This is the DU member formerly known as TexasProgresive.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 08:03 PM

5. Beat me to it

"Didn't you agree to work for $75,000? . . . Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?"

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 08:18 PM

7. My mind went there immediately. So we can assume that these old farts are not Christian at least.

Just old, selfish, greedy grumps!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 6, 2015, 08:07 PM

6. The owner of this comany changed his salary structure,

but he did not consider the unintended consequences. Long-term, loyal employees had a right to be bothered by this move. He should have done this on a more gradual basis and considered basing pay on experience and how long a person had been employed and doing good work for his company.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread