HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A serious question about ...

Wed Jun 17, 2015, 10:56 AM

A serious question about the TPP

It's amazing to me how almost nobody pushing the TPP considers the illegal aspects of it, considering how many politicians, including Obama, were lawyers. I'm referring to the parts where a corporation can take a municipality to a court outside the USA and administered by private judges, and declare that municipalitie's regulations illegal, if they harm corporate profits. This question never seems to get asked. Amazing how republicans, who think that the ACA is unconstitutional, are almost 100% behind this trade giveaway. Anyway, those are my thoughts, and maybe someone can set me straight that the TPP doesn't have illegal aspects in it, or that it's not unconstitutional. Thanks.

3 replies, 624 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A serious question about the TPP (Original post)
chev52 Jun 2015 OP
Eric J in MN Jun 2015 #1
guillaumeb Jun 2015 #2
chev52 Jun 2015 #3

Response to chev52 (Original post)

Wed Jun 17, 2015, 10:59 AM

1. NAFTA does the same thing.

I'm against both NAFTA and the TPP.

But the courts haven't stopped NAFTA's arbitration panels made up of corporate lobbyists.

I don't think the courts would stop TPP's arbitration panels made up of corporate lobbyists.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to chev52 (Original post)

Wed Jun 17, 2015, 11:04 AM

2. A serious question deserves a serious answer.

Article 6, Clause 2 of the Constitution: "All treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land ".

So a signed Treaty is binding and considered the same as a law passed in this country.

Reply to this post

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 17, 2015, 07:00 PM

3. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. If you're right, were all screwed. I hope the democrats stay strong against it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread